[SOLVED] "File Open" dialog freezes ?

brutzza

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
Hi, I'm having a very weird problem in my user (I've discovered it's a local user problem, not windows problem).

Whenever I try to open a file dialog, it freezes, with ANY software.. Word, Excel, Firefox, Rufus, anything.
The solution is to open task manager and close it from there.
I can't explore my local disk to attach any file to an email, can't explore an ISO file in Rufus, can't save as a file in Word, anything, the pop up window to explore it does not appear and freezes the software.

I've tried in cmd
sfc scannow
dism restorehealth
chkdsk
SHIFT + RESTART to blue troubleshooting screen
flash drive with windows 10 ISO to try repairing it
nothing worked

BUT I've created a new local user with admin permissions and IT DOES WORK so the problem is in MY peronal user
So far I've discovered that but no clue how to continue or to solve it.
If not I'm going to use the new user...

Thanks in advance.

Solution
if its fixed using the new user, I would just swap. Clearly its a problem with the profile, Win 10 user accounts can break like this.

If you logon to normal user and go to C:/users folder and copy contents of old user folder onto new user, it will have the same access as other user and you don't need to reinstall everything again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its fixed using the new user, I would just swap. Clearly its a problem with the profile, Win 10 user accounts can break like this.

If you logon to normal user and go to C:/users folder and copy contents of old user folder onto new user, it will have the same access as other user and you don't need to reinstall everything again.

Solution

brutzza

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016

Thanks a lot!
I was just too busy to do something but it solved itself... weird.
I was going to do just what you said but not anymore.
Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS