Question File server for medium/small church

Jan 12, 2019
We are planning to update/upgrade our church network. We have a need to share files and maybe a shared calendar. No email or web hosting. I am wondering if a NAS would be more economical and meet our needs rather than a “server”. There are less than 10 computers in the network, six of which will be used everyday all day. The other four will be used to handle specific tasks in and for the worship services, and will need the ability to save and retrieve files. Remote access would be a plus, but not a necessity. Future will have a pc and Mac environment. Your thoughts and suggestions?

Jan 12, 2019
I'd recommend a 2 disk NAS and run drives in a mirror. Avoid using stripes (raid 5,6,10) when using a single storage server.

Synology DS218+ has great reviews.

Seagate Ironwolf drives new from a good buyer.
Thank you. I was thinking in that direction too. Thanks for confirming that if I am crazy I am not the only one! Be well.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

kanewolf

Titan
Here is the Synology FAQ on how-to host a shared calendar -- https://www.synology.com/en-us/know...host_a_calendar_server_using_the_Synology_NAS

If you don't already have a Windows domain, then the "+" versions of the Synology products may not benefit you. The price difference between 2 bay and 4 bay chassis is not great. But you have expandability for the future. I would recommend a DS418 as the "starter" unit. If you don't go for the DS418, get the plain (non-plus) DS218.

I don't share @failboat aversion to RAID 5 with a single file server. Backups are still required. Both the DS418 and DS218 have USB 3.0 ports. You can plug an external disk into the USB 3 port and backup to that drive. Synology units have good cloud backup integration also. If your church has good upload speed on internet you can do an unattended cloud backup from the NAS.

Reactions: ftzguy
Jan 12, 2019
Here is the Synology FAQ on how-to host a shared calendar -- https://www.synology.com/en-us/know...host_a_calendar_server_using_the_Synology_NAS

If you don't already have a Windows domain, then the "+" versions of the Synology products may not benefit you. The price difference between 2 bay and 4 bay chassis is not great. But you have expandability for the future. I would recommend a DS418 as the "starter" unit. If you don't go for the DS418, get the plain (non-plus) DS218.

I don't share @failboat aversion to RAID 5 with a single file server. Backups are still required. Both the DS418 and DS218 have USB 3.0 ports. You can plug an external disk into the USB 3 port and backup to that drive. Synology units have good cloud backup integration also. If your church has good upload speed on internet you can do an unattended cloud backup from the NAS.
Thank you for the advice. Since there is an old server that must be replaced there is a good possibility that a domain is used. I am embarrassed to say I don't know for sure. Your affirmation that a NAS can be used is appreciated. I will take a look at the DS418. Both you and @failboat recommended Synology. Should I look at other brands or is Synology heads above the competition?

kanewolf

Titan
I recommend Synology because I have two of them deployed in my home network. QNAP and Thecus are the other two main players. Asustor is the lower cost option which doesn't have the track record of the "big three" but still gets good reviews. A 4 drive unit from any of the four manufacturers will probably do everything you want. Specific things like the shared calendar are something that you should google to see if somebody has already done it for you.

Reactions: ftzguy