[SOLVED] File Sharing through local network

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
So for years I've been sharing files over our home network. I'm trying to get files from my main system. My SIg is the main system everyone gets files from...mine.
I can get files from one computer even with VPN on in the room across the hall from mine (sisters PC) but one system which is down stairs (if that makes a difference) can not see my sisters only mine and itself.
I was trying all types of window file sharing settings last night for about an hour and a half but couldn't figure it out. Even though it sees mine can't access any folder or files.
Here's what i know, firewall not blocking connection, VPN on and also tried with it off, made sure sharing was the same, able to open my computer tab and see files/folders shared but when trying to open I get this message.

Windows can't access \\PCNAME
You do not have permission contact network admin. (something along those lines)

Ever since switched to ryzen from intel on the system with the problem accessing mine. I'm the only one still on intel on the network if that matters. Sisters PC is also ryzen but she can get all files and folders I share with no issues.

Anyone have experience with this and know how to fix it? I'm out of ideas. Oh also were all hard wired/Ethernet.

Solution
You have to set permissions on the folder.
Can you show me a photo cause I think I have.
Most of what i'm sharing says homeusers in permissions. As well as an unknown contact somehow there listed as owner and i'm read/write.

Homeusers was the problem. Apparently that means home group which doesn't exist anymore once change to everyone from the drop down (private network at home) works perfect. Thanks so i guess it was permission.

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
You have to set permissions on the folder.
Can you show me a photo cause I think I have.
Most of what i'm sharing says homeusers in permissions. As well as an unknown contact somehow there listed as owner and i'm read/write.

Homeusers was the problem. Apparently that means home group which doesn't exist anymore once change to everyone from the drop down (private network at home) works perfect. Thanks so i guess it was permission.

Last edited:
Solution