[SOLVED] File Transfer Speed over LAN with Ethernet

pandapcbuilder

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017
Hello, I am a really big noob at networking. I want to make a NAS and use it only from one computer. Say the Read/Write speeds on the NAS are 1000GB/s, and say the computer I'm accessing it from also has Read/Write speeds of 1000GB/s. Say I have the NAS and the computer connected to the router with CAT6 cables. Lets say I have internet speeds of 100MB/s up and down. What would the file transfer speeds from the NAS to the computer be assuming the router can handle that amounts of data passing through? As I said I am a big noob so will it be 1000GB/s transferring files between the 2 computers or will it be limited to the speed I have to access the internet (100MB/s up and down.)

Solution
Thanks for the reply! I know the numbers were extremely unrealistic but they were just theoretical. So you mean if all the hardware (including the networking cards) is capablEe, I would be able to achieve 1000GB/s file transfer speeds assuming both the NAS and the PC are connected via ethernet to the router?

The internet speed doesn't impact local networking. If they are on the same subnet it wouldn't actually be routed. most routers include a small switch.

kanewolf

Titan
With gigabit networking, you will get 100MB/s If you were to install 10GE network cards in the NAS and client you could get 1GB/s

Most of the numbers in your original post are wrong. For example, the latest PCIe 4.0 SSDs get 5GB/s -- Nowhere close to your "1000GB/s" ...
Your internet speed is probably 100Mb/s (megabits -- little "b" ) ...

pandapcbuilder

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017
Thanks for the reply! I know the numbers were extremely unrealistic but they were just theoretical. So you mean if all the hardware (including the networking cards) is capablEe, I would be able to achieve 1000GB/s file transfer speeds assuming both the NAS and the PC are connected via ethernet to the router?

kanewolf

Titan
The MAXIMUM you would get is 1GB/s with 10GE. Standard home 1GE networking would give you 100MB/s . NO normal storage or networking technology today will provide "1000GB/s" There may be a storage cluster in a national lab that has an aggregate that high. But no single client gets that much bandwidth.

The internet speed doesn't impact local networking. If they are on the same subnet it wouldn't actually be routed. most routers include a small switch.

Solution

pandapcbuilder

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017
The MAXIMUM you would get is 1GB/s with 10GE. Standard home 1GE networking would give you 100MB/s . NO normal storage or networking technology today will provide "1000GB/s" There may be a storage cluster in a national lab that has an aggregate that high. But no single client gets that much bandwidth.
OK thanks!