Question Files copied onto external SSD disappear

Dec 28, 2021
HI, I recently purchased an external SSD (Western Digital 4TB) and connected it to my laptop via USB and created 3 partitions on it.
I then connected it to my old laptop and copied from that laptops internal drive approx 300GB of music to the 1st partition, 400GB of music to the 2nd partition & 800GB of video files to the 3rd partition.
Having checked that all the files were present and correct I then ejected the SSD from the laptop.
When I then plugged in the SSD into my new laptop, the first 2 partitions were as expected but the 3rd partition, with all my music video files only had 2 of the 8 folders on it and those folders were missing files. I connected the SSD to my desktop PC and it was the same.
A 'CHKDSK' recovered the files however I am confused as to why the files weren't copied correctly when I "EJECTED" the SSD correctly.
In an attempt to troubleshoot the error I erased the 3rd partition and then created it on my old laptop before copying the files, this time I correctly ejected the disk and also shut down the old laptop, however exactly the same happened again.
Does anyone know what is happening on my old laptop to cause this error. I can write large amounts of files to the SSD from my desktop PC and my new laptop and they can be read by everything but my old laptop seems to have a problem.
My concern is this.
I am going to remove the media from the old laptop to free up space and will primarily use the SSD on my new laptop however I want to be able to use the SSD on the old laptop as well and am concerned that when connected to the old laptop it may not correctly write new files or files I edit so that they can be read when connected to the new laptop.
How do I ensure the old laptop can write to the SSD and that it can then be read on my new SSD.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full laptop specs and OS information.

Connect the new WD external SSD to the laptop.

On the laptop open Disk Management to show all of drives, etc..

Enlarge the Disk Management window so all can be seen and then do a screen capture.

Post the screen capture here using imgur (www.imgur.com).