files disapeared from HDD

G

This might not make much sense but its a shot in the dark anyhow for me so I will ask away.....

I have two, 2TB harddrives in enclosures. I save files to a folder on my desktop. And then plug in each harddrive separately and drag and drop into them.

I added folders and files to the first one using drag and drop. I removed the drive. Shut down PC. Rebooted with 2nd drive plugged in to repeat process.

When I looked to the contents of the second drive (which didn't have the new folders yet) it was showing these new folders that should only have been in the other drive which was disconnected. I thought I was looking at a cached or unrefreshed directory of the first drive.

I clicked on the folders they were empty! Then all of the folders disappeared right before my eyes!. However, it appeared the space was still being taken up by the drive. I tried to "scan or check drive" and the first time it detected errors but I didn't know how to list those errors. A second "scan or check drive" it said the drive was fine.

These are both new drives and I didn't have a lot of stuff stored luckily. I went into disk management and disabled the trouble drive (deleting all the contents now I hope) and returned it to the store and got a new drive.

But I fear proceeding with my current method of backup in case this happens again.... what could have occurred?

(ps if this could be virus related:

after all this occurred I scanned with Malwarebytes and it found two files called "Open Candy" which I quarantined and then scaned with AVG and it found a few files associated with JAVA that said it "may contain" JS/Exploit ?. I deleted those. Rescanned with both programs and it says I am clean now?)

G

"The only mystery to me is why you thought it necessary to shut down your PC in between using each of those two external drives? "

That's the only mystery to you? Oh well please elaborate since your reply suggests that you know what happened to my files.

I shut them down because I am not sure of the process of swapping them out, I don't think they are hot swappable. (USB 2)

Oh, my bad. I didn't realise you use the drives in an external docking bay. Fair enough, best to shutdown then.
But in your first post you did say "I have two, 2TB harddrives in enclosures"

Which suggests that each drive is in it's own enclosure. USB hard drives in their own enclosure are "hot-pluggable" whether they be USB 1.1, USB 2.0, or USB 3.0

The only proviso is that you first check that the drive's "busy" light is not blinking (common sense that bit).

You were right to change the drive for another new one. In all probability it was faulty. (Windows scan for errors wouldn't detect that) Good luck with new one.

Like your sarcasm - shows spirit - keep it up and you'll go far.

TRENDING THREADS