Question Files/folders disappearing from EHD during upgrade to Windows 10

prendergast

Honorable
Jan 7, 2018
Hello everyone, I hope you're all managing well.

I have recently updated my computer to Windows 10 due to the cessation of updates and so forth to Windows 7. My PC has a relatively small hard drive, and so I keep an external hard drive connected to it at all times for the purposes of storage. Before the transition to Windows 10, I backed up the important files from my PC onto this drive.
Following the upgrade, I discovered several issues with the external hard drive. Firstly, I noticed that the folders that I had backed up were much larger than they should have been. I found that the entire contents of a preexisting folder had been moved to a seemingly random location within my new backed up folders. I also discovered several files moved from their original locations to random positions through these backed up folders. Since then, I have also noticed that several large folders seem to have disappeared entirely. Strangely, the 'properties' of the external hard drive list 2.72tb used, whereas when I select all the files and folders therein it only adds up to about 1tb.
Through the usual process of Googling a solution, I have gone through the fixes listed here without success: https://windowsreport.com/my-files-folders-disappeared-windows-10/#7.

If anyone has any ideas related to retrieving these files and folders, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Last edited:

prendergast

Honorable
Jan 7, 2018
Did you keep the HDD connected during the Windows install?

Try booting with a Linux live CD and accessing the drive.
Hello! Thanks for the reply. Yes it was connected through the install; I didn't think it'd be a problem. I'm not really sure how to do the Linux live CD thing. You think it's just an issue with accessing it through Windows 10? I have an older laptop with Windows 7 still on it that I could use to check as soon as I have some time. I'll let you know how that goes.