[SOLVED] Files on brand new portable HDD

Dec 7, 2019
Amazon.IN and Flipkart here are sending used/returned products repeatedly and I wanted to test if my brand-new portable harddisk is used. So I ran my licensed data recovery tool from Minitool and found these folders and files (weighing 53 GB) in the brand-new external harddisk (of 1 TB). Could anybody tell me if that is normal? Say the Seagate disk has some default content in the form of manuals or something, why would there be openoffice files? Why do I see these files in a brand-new portable harddisk?

Th
e first thing did was to run the recovery tool and didn't do anything else.

[Update] The same files are not searchable in the current version (not accessible normally on the hard disk).

By the way, the P/N number on the box is not matching with the one on the product (harddisk). Serial number is matching, but not the P/N.

1QdfKWu.jpg

vA81ty0.jpg

Qoo4xXD.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
At best, that is a refurbished drive. The remnants of those files would not be on a "new" drive.
But, as long as it carries the full manufacturer warranty, no worries.

Register the serial number with Seagate and see what it says.

Lutfij

Titan
If the drive doesn't show any files physically, without the use of a data recovery app, while also being honored the warranty scheme stated at the time of product purchase then you have nothing to worry about. Was the drive intact in it's own individual wrapping? Might want pass on a link to the item you purchased(based in India, ofc).

Dec 7, 2019
If the drive doesn't show any files physically, without the use of a data recovery app, while also being honored the warranty scheme stated at the time of product purchase then you have nothing to worry about. Was the drive intact in it's own individual wrapping? Might want pass on a link to the item you purchased(based in India, ofc).

Thanks for the response. Here is the product link - https://www.flipkart.com/seagate-ul...CCFFUEQHHXHYVYY&lid=LSTACCFFUEQHHXHYVYYEQZGEC

USAFRet

Titan
At best, that is a refurbished drive. The remnants of those files would not be on a "new" drive.
But, as long as it carries the full manufacturer warranty, no worries.

Register the serial number with Seagate and see what it says.

Solution