Files showing up as unreadable

scold

Reputable
May 6, 2015
I previously had one SSD as my only form of storage in my computer. I added an additional SSD yesterday. I transferred a ton of pictures and music over to the new SSD. I checked everything and it all appeared to be working fine. I "permanently deleted" everything off of the main SSD and now the photos won't open on the secondary SSD. My music plays fine but none of my pictures (all jpegs) will open nor will a bunch of PDF's I had on there. I get this message:
"It doesn't look like we support this file type" or "Adobe Reader cannot open this file as it appears to be damaged or is an unsupported file type"

Solution
I read about similar problems over the net, corresponding with windows 10, but couldn´t find a solution yet.

Maybe copy one jpg which is not working on the new drive to another folder on the new drive and try opening again.

Or copy some of the pictures to an usb flash drive or other drive and boot with ubuntu live on a bootable flash drive. Try opening these there.

You can try to restore the deleted jpgs with Disk drill:
https://www.cleverfiles.com/disk-drill-windows.html
don´t install or store anything on that drive you wanna recover files from

scold

Reputable
May 6, 2015

After I transferred the pictures from my main HD to the new HD, i dragged them to the recycle bin, got the notice "these files are too large for the recycle bin, would you like to permanently delete them?" and I clicked yes. I do not have any backup of these files and there is no "history restore" type of thing available to me.

I saved a jpeg to my new drive from the web and it works just fine.

I read about similar problems over the net, corresponding with windows 10, but couldn´t find a solution yet.

Maybe copy one jpg which is not working on the new drive to another folder on the new drive and try opening again.

Or copy some of the pictures to an usb flash drive or other drive and boot with ubuntu live on a bootable flash drive. Try opening these there.

You can try to restore the deleted jpgs with Disk drill:
https://www.cleverfiles.com/disk-drill-windows.html
don´t install or store anything on that drive you wanna recover files from

Solution