'Final Fantasy XV' at E3, Hands On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon_29

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
I get that they changed the combat system to appeal to a new market of younger players, but most FF loyalist are not too keen on this combat system. Personally I think the combat system in VII and X is vastly superior for an RPG. This is an ARPG no matter how you slice it. FF is supposed to be a relaxing story telling adventure with the occasional puzzle thrown in to make sure you are staying sharp. The gameplay while deep has never been super complex. The complexity is driven from the systems and ability to customize it. Not in the combat itself. There was nothing hard about stringing knights of the round and phoenix to beat emerald or ruby weapon. What was hard is figuring out you needed to get them in the first place and grinding your way to god mode. We still loved it and came away feeling pretty accomplished.

sh4dow83

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
"I get that they changed the combat system to appeal to a new market of younger players..."

I've thought that ever since they went from turn-based to ATB. ;)

Jun 17, 2016
Brandon_29 Nailed it

FF7 was fantastic, and built for Complex gaming with simple combat in the end.

I hang my head low at all these Action RPG's as of late

Tomclancy14

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Hmmm. Which ff requires you 70+ hours just to finish the story?? I can't think of one. 50+ hours of main story is more than most of the RPGs on the market nowadays. So I don't know what you are whining about on that one.

And your cookie cutter comment, the "strong friendship bond" premise was never presented in any previous ffs before. Father and son was in ffx sure, but that was only one ff. You played for I assume an hour? Judging the story, saying nothing stands out as novels is entirely pointless.

I can't judge the graphic yet cuz I haven't tried. But it seems like you have came to conclusion with that hour of trial. Mr. Tabata had confirmed the demo was actually at 30fps most of the time and ranged from 900 to 1080 in resolution while it stays at 1080 majority of the time. I can't imagine him lying about it when the demo of just out there for ppl to try

I thot online journalist have to stay kinda neutral but from what I see in your article, you are biased against this game to begin with, which I am disappointed as well.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

Unfortunately you are quite correct. And rarely does that make many people happy, but as you said due to the name will keep forking out cash in high hopes.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Which ff requires you 70+ hours just to finish the story?

The previous Final Fantasies. FF1 for the Nintendo clocked in at average of 35-40 hours. X, XII, XIII clocked an average of 100+, depending on your side quests.

Judging the story, saying nothing stands out as novels is entirely pointless.

Within the first precious few minutes of Final Fantasy 1-7, X, and on, you know what's going on and you have the gist of a grand story arc about to take place. The demo we experienced was empty of story or narrative, so perhaps there's more to it than we saw.

I thot online journalist have to stay kinda neutral but from what I see in your article, you are biased against this game to begin with, which I am disappointed as well.

Couple of corrections here. 1. The Community Team aren't journalists. We went to E3 to cover games coming out that our forum members wanted info on. We're still held to a standard of ethics and integrity, but a slight differentiation here. 2. We aren't neutral. We are all rabid Final Fantasy fanbois. I have a cactaur hanging literally inches from my monitor on my office wall. We were super pumped to play FFXV, so much so that it was *the* very first thing we did at E3. We're still hopeful that they make some changes for the better, because we'd much like to play a FF deserving of the title.

-JP

Demad_Hatter

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
I havent played a single FF game that took more than 40 hours in forever? Im not sure if you take your time or youre extremely bad but dont judge every FF game length based on how long it takes you.

Furthermore the story seems vague since the actual story of the "game" and not the anime or movie hasnt been divulged so much since its changed over the past 4 years.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Im not sure if you take your time or youre extremely bad but dont judge every FF game length based on how long it takes you.

Yeah, not a bad player and I don't take my time. The times for averages were taken from the aggregate from a handful of average gametime sites. The estimation of hours came from the developer when they were asked.

Furthermore the story seems vague since the actual story of the "game" and not the anime or movie hasnt been divulged so much since its changed over the past 4 years.

The part of the game we played didn't have much story. That's the only part we are currently able to judge. Based on what we saw, not great. It's quite possible the rest of the game is entirely different and the only part that was shown was dull and uninspired.

This is the most pessimistic view of FFXV that I've ever read.

Thanks! If you want glowing, non-objective reviews coincidentally sandwiched on the left and right by full-blown advertising for the game itself, you are welcome to find your hands-on reviews from quite a few sites willing to present that variety of narrative to you. We pride ourselves on a higher standard. This hands-on was performed by long-time fans of the series who were very excited to play the latest installment in the franchise, and are delivering to you an unfettered, untinted version of what they (myself and Kevin) experienced first-hand.

-JP

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
"Length of campaign is roughly a (disappointing) 50 hours". That doesn't indicate whether the main campaign or main campaign plus optional side quests and item gathering. Based on common use, that 50 hours would be completion of the main linear campaign. The primary campaigns of FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, FFXIII, FFXIII-2 can all be completed in less than 50 hours (less than 25 actually). Google "ff(insert viii/x/xii etc) fastest time". Time to completion is relative to how you venture but saying 50 hours is disappointing as a blanket statement is confusing. I have a maxed out FFVII game and a speed run of 21 hours. 21 hours doesn't mean I finished and thought "wow, that was double disappointing" when I was done.

There is nothing "disappointing" about 50 hours.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Fastest time was not what I was seeking when I compared time rates, but rather average completion time. If 50 hours is a speed run for the game, I'll be quite happy. If 50 hours is campaign, plus extras, sidequests, etc, then it will be rather disappointing.

Xengre

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
What an ass quality article. Your bias is pretty clear Joe Pishgar considering your very claims have been disproven by Square Enix, themselves. Do you really think we are too stupid to know better?

Tidus' character was fine. There are pretty obvious reasons why his character was the way it was, and it was logical. The black fashion is due to the color black being important which we will find out about later. Their clothes tend to try to be more realistic then some of the crazy stuff in past FF games and are closer to real world designs.

Most FF games are about retaking the world or saving it from evil.

The game length is expected to be around ~50+ hours for story alone. Most FF games can be completed in 7~15 hrs, pushin 25 on average before extra content and not the 70+ hours you claim. About the ONLY JRPGs that his the 70+ hour mark is the Tales of series, and their story length is in a league of its own.

120+ hours for completionist? Well they announced that certain side content would add an additional 100+ hours, alone, and with all content combined they state we are looking at 200+ hours. Could you do us a favor and fact check your stuff?

You make comments about concerns with "hallway linear play" when Duscae is huge and open world? The desert map? There are LITERALLY cities that appear to be larger than the city half of GTA V on a map ~10x the size of GTA V with more NPCs performing various actions and shops you can visit unlike GTA V?

Controls? When did you write this article exactly? The original release of Duscae had some issues which were alleviated with Duscae 2.0 largely and then further fixed up and simplified (tho it has been shown still has just as much if not more depth) in Platinum demo. Some quick time events for massive monsters like Titan aren't unexpected and happen in a LOT of games with bosses of such scale, such as God of War and Shadow of Colossus.

Admittedly, the Titan boss fight looked a bit underwhelming but we only saw a small fraction of it and they will likely work on it after numerous complaints about that one fight.

You show a rather extreme bias against FFXV while trying to paint you aren't biased and you failed to do your research, even when you were able to directly talk to them you misconstrued what they said. Dude, you should not be writing articles here. This is sorry.

Xengre

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
NAKAL check out the World of Wonder videos both the environments and the ecosystem trailers. Also check out the newer city on water trailer Altissia and the other city they have shown where it has them driving into the city with all the cars parked and they walk past an outside restaraunt/waiter taking orders and up some stairs. Just seeing the environments, alone, and them breathing is enough to make me interested. I hope the rest of the game ends up being as good, especially the story as that is the one area I am worried about.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Your bias is pretty clear Joe Pishgar considering your very claims have been disproven by Square Enix, themselves. Do you really think we are too stupid to know better?

I'm struggling to try and figure out why, precisely, you would 1) Consider me biased in the *NEGATIVE* towards Square Enix or Final Fantasy. 2) Consider the "claims" I've made "disproven" by Square Enix. I wrote the article based purely, and completely, and entirely on what I physically played in my hands at E3 on Tuesday. All I knew before that point about Final Fantasy XV was that it was a thing, and was coming out soon. I've no agenda to express here on this, apart from a personal, lifelong (23 years at least) interest in Final Fantasy.

I'm honest to god a little worried here. I'm a fanboy about the series and I'm legit being attacked for writing the truth about what I experienced and saw. Should I have pulled my punches?

Tidus was fine, I agree. That wasn't a diss. Noctis, as a character, just wasn't memorable or interesting in the half-hour I spent moving him around the screen. The fashion wasn't a diss either, just a reference.

Most FF games are about retaking the world or saving it from evil.

Right! But there's a definitive purpose. Save the espers, re-light the darkened orbs, stop Kefka from killing everyone, stop Sephiroth from bringing Meteor in, defeat Sin, and so on. "Take city back from bad guys" was not so motivating. I'm sure there's more, but they were light on the story.

Most FF games can be completed in 7~15 hrs

Ooooookay. I mean, I haven't played the Final Fantasy Tactics games, so perhaps I missed something, but...this seems unlikely.

You make comments about concerns with "hallway linear play"

When I brought this up, the dev I was speaking to knew exactly what I was talking about, and gave me that quote in the article. I didn't have to lead him there, or jump it on him like a gotcha question. He knew what I meant, and even made the call out on Final Fantasy XIII.

Controls? When did you write this article exactly?

Friday, an hour after I stepped off the plane from Los Angeles and E3. It was the first article I wrote about E3, for a good reason - it was the first game I played there, and the one I was most excited about. As for when I played it, I played on Tuesday, June 14th at about 12:30 pm PST, thirty minutes after the doors opened to the South Hall at E3. (check-in took a bit)

Some quick time events for massive monsters like Titan aren't unexpected and happen in a LOT of games with bosses of such scale, such as God of War and Shadow of Colossus.

Which is great! If I want to play God of War or Shadow of the Colossus. I'm not exactly a purist here, but I'd like my Final Fantasy to be, y'know, Final Fantasy inspired, rather than derivative.

Admittedly, the Titan boss fight looked a bit underwhelming but we only saw a small fraction of it and they will likely work on it after numerous complaints about that one fight.

I wanted to slump against the wall and cry. I made sure to watch others who were demoing the same and on different consoles, to make sure it wasn't a problem with me as a player, or the console itself for that particular port.

You show a rather extreme bias against FFXV while trying to paint you aren't biased

I was a completely blank slate before physically playing the game. I didn't want any spoilers, so I had avoided any mention of what the game was, or involved, or how it played. I am, as a player, biased strongly in favor of Final Fantasy. When I succeed significantly at a life event, I loudly play the Victory music mp3 (and do the stupid little arm motion), and I've successfully bred a black chocobo, own a fat one in FFXIV I named Cindy Magus, and casually mention Nobuo Uematsu's works in conversation with friends. Seriously, there are a lot of fawning reviews by authors who have no idea what Final Fantasy is that you can find out there to reinforce your expectations for the game. But, I relayed my experience as I had it as honestly as I was able. I'm sad it was not a positive one.

-JP

Xengre

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
Truth? You lied about multiple aspects of the game providing false information, even on the day when a major public event stated information contrary to your article.

I never took the fashion/Tidus thing as a dis, merely pointed out that they aren't really that much of an issue. Unfortunately, the demo doesn't exactly drive home Noctis' character. It is about gameplay, the one prior a tech demo, the one before that testing and game elements with feedback.

There is more as far as we know which has a lot to do with Luna and her purpose. It involves something with the darkness and the end of the world, or that is the gist of it. We know there are other nations involved beyond just taking back the homelands. We know of the incidents back home as well. I'm not sure how you could have missed all this when a 3 minute prep Google search would have detailed most/all of this information before you're article that tries to pin it on simply being about saving the world from evil. Then again, how do you perceive this army of robots as being different and more mundane than Sephiroth or Kefka? Is it because it is a hive and a faceless group of enemies with no one to, yet, pin the blame on?

I said most, not all FF games. Tactics isn't even part of the standard FF fair as it isn't a primary title even if it is well received. Yes, it is very likely. Check out the speedruns on "HowLongToBeat" and the rushed times as well. Even the standard times are way lower than what you claim outside of completionist.
Speedruns:
FF6- roughly 10 hours 30 minutes
FF7- roughly 14 hours (as short as 8)
FF8- roughly 13 hours 20 minutes
FF9- roughly 20 hours (fastest 10 hours, but this isn't a complete list as I know it has been completed in roughly 7 something hours)
FF10- 20 hours (only one run listed)

If you look at primary play time for many of the runners who take their time you might get ~40 hours which is quite short from the 70+. Even 40 hours is still great by today's standards when games like GTA V can be finished in a couple hours, or even worse, shorter games take 3-8 hours to complete on average. FFXV is expected to be 50+ just for the story, this is not an indication of average playtime as that is expected to be higher and completionist around 200+ mark.

Yes, anyone familiar with FF series will know what the hallway/linear comments mean. The problem is you stated you were "concerned about it" when we are this far along and the Duscae and updated demo have been shown with massive environments, cities and a world map that make GTA V look like a tiny playground, and Platinum demo and numerous other trailers. There was literally no point to make this comment as if it was a concern. It was childish at best as there was no grounds, and every reason against this belief.

You didn't think it wise to wait until Thursday was about over, when you could see their event schedule, to write up about the topic with a bit more information and less bias? Right now this article is really inaccurate.

FFXV is still largely FF inspired, but it does mix other elements in. You don't generally have much in the way of QTEs in the game but for a supersized boss fight it isn't surprising since the actions have to be animated in a way you can't necessarily freely act in otherwise whomp whomp whomp on the toes of the Titan. They have discussed numerous elements about how it doesn't take Devil May Cry/twitch skills and is still very strategy oriented at its core. There are even numerous other games similar that have shown this can be done like the Xenoblade and Star Ocean series.

Not worth crying over. The Titan fight is a legitimate point to bring up and voice concern over so it can hopefully be adjusted before release, not only for that fight but possibly to prevent issues with other fights/scenes in the game.

Seeing how you replied and your last paragraph you don't seem to be an ass you just seemed to have done a rather crappy article. Your other stuff may be much better for all I know. Next time do some proper reading up before you write your article. If you are going to avoid spoilers, get involved with the game and decide you want to write up on it do some dirty research and try to get some facts/information straight so you aren't posting stuff like the game is only 50 hours long, and even worse when you compare it to 120+ hour completionist of games like FF12 when it actually comes out to pushing twice that length and comparable to Witcher 3 (assuming they aren't stretching the 50 hour claim, and 100 other hour claim, and other unlisted content which is totally a possibility). You can always update the article or do a rewrite and wipe my posts if you get some more proper information up there and make sure to take into consideration your opinions on the issue, after you are more aware, be they roughly the same or different. No, you don't need to worry about harassment or people telling you to kill yourself. That isn't going to happen, at least not from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.