Final product - Thanks all for the help!

SwiftTone

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Thanks all for the insight on my first PC build. It turned out great! Here are the PCpartspicker link where the pictures are located: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/KkQ

Comments are welcome!

I was deciding whether to get a PS4 or build a PC for gaming and office applications. Obviously I decided to build a PC. I'm hoping that this PC will last me 4-5 years though I will probably update the GPU 2 years from now as new games come out.

Originally I had intended to build a machine in the $7-800 range. Well that obviously didn't happen. I started out wanting just a WD Blue 1TB, but ended up adding the Samsung 840 EVO 120gb as a boot drive. Then I upgraded from a GTX 760 to a 770 figuring that it would run games better and play more titles down the road. Originally didn't factor in the CPU cooler but I figure if I'm going to OC down the road might as well get one now. Plus it keeps my CPU cool right now. One thing led to another and I ended up $3-400 over budget. But I am happy with the machine.

Performance wise, to me, it feels blazing fast. Boot time from power on to Win7 login screen is 13 seconds. WEI (Windows Experience Index) is 7.7. In Furmark 1080p benchmark it runs at an average of 53fps and max temperature is 61 C. In Prime95 benchmark small TFT and blend test the temperature stabilizes at 59 C after 4 hours with no errors. I haven't tested the memory but I have yet to have a crash during use other than the time I was poking around the GPU cable while the computer was on. Actually, my GPU power cable doesn't click in and just comes off if I pull on it. Have to look into that.

I've ran Battlefield 3, Hitman: Absolution, Assassin's Creed 3 and they all play at a constant 60fps at the highest setting with VSync on. Apparently VSync locks the FPS to the monitor refresh rate. I will have to turn it off and get an accurate reading. Haven't had a chance to buy Battlefield 4 mainly because it's still a buggy game. I'll buy it when the bugs are fixed because it'll be likely that it'll be cheaper by the anyways.

The Rosewill Blackhawk case is a "budget friendly" case that is feature rich. The only complaints I have is some of the thumb screws is a little bent so it looks a bit crooked, parts of the fit and finish is slightly lacking, and the LEDs are too bright. It comes with 5 fans. I am thinking of moving the 2 front fans with LEDs inside the case, and move 2 from the inside to the front. Also the side fan does not fit with the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. So I moved it to the bottom for intake. Also it is nice to have space for cable management on the left cover though it would be nice if it had an additional ¼” of space. I think I did alright for cable management though but it did take a few tries. Also the screws for the mobo that comes with the case have ribs in them and are no good. I assume is to lock the screw down so it doesn’t come loose. But I’ve read it can tear up the mobo if you use it. I used some other screws that came with the case that doesn’t have the ribs in them.

Another small issue I had was that the mobo only had 6 holes for mounting but the stand offs for ATX board had 6. I was nervous at first especially because the mobo flexes while installing some components. But it all worked out.

Overall I’m happy how everything turn out. It’s really fast and it does everything I need it to do that should last me a few years down the road. Let me know if you have any questions. I will be happy to answer them.

Looks great! Cable management could be a bit neater, but that's just a nitpicky thing.

You will not want to run games at more than 60fps because you will get screen tearing like crazy. This is why vsync exists, to eliminate this.

SwiftTone

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Thanks all!

How would you suggest to manage the cables to make it look better. Any part in particular needs improvement or just overall?

I also turned off vsync and it runs Battlefield 3 on ultra at 100-110 fps. I guess I'm not that sensitive to screen tear but there's also no reason to run it that high and make the GPU work hard. This case seems to cool really well as BF3 only brings the temps on the GPU up to 52 C.

Your GPU just isn't trying that hard to run it at 60fps. If you run a benchmark where the GPU usage is sent up to 100% it will get much hotter. Around 70c.

Your cable management is perfectly fine. It is all out of the way any not interfering with anything. If you wanted it to look neater, you could pull everything a bit tighter and tuck those cables that are behind the HDD tray out of the way better.

http://cdn.overclock.net/9/9a/500x1000px-LL-9a6b57fc_my_custom_amd_pc_1_10_2013_2_by_famous1994-d5r3lgs.jpeg this is an example of how simply pulling the cables tighter will make a difference using your same case. You do not by nay means need to do this though. Yours is perfectly functional.

SwiftTone

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

The highest temp I've seen running Furmark was 61 C. Actually I tried over clocking just for fun. I added 100mhz and i got about 5fps extra. But when I turned it up to 150mhz the fps started going down. This is testing with Unigine Heaven. I also increased the memory to 8gb, up from 7gb. Is it normal to have the performance go down after a certain point of overclocking?

acciobroom

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Thats a sweet build I am looking into building something very very similar(gtx 770, wd 1b, samsung 840). Let me ask you though, do you think it is worth it to buy a 120/144 hz monitor because I just have an ASUS VS247H-P, which is a nice monitor don't get me wrong, but its refresh rate may just make the rig pointless because its not reaching maximum performance. I don' know

With a single 770, I would say it is not worth it to get a 120/144hz monitor. A single 770 will not run all games at 120fps at max settings. This is cause you to have FPS bouncing all over the place instead of synced to 60hz (fps). a solid 60fps actually looks SMOOTHER than 70-90fps fluctuating constantly.

It is better to get an IPS 60hz monitor than a non-ips 120/144hz monitor every day.

acciobroom

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Wait what? Why an IPS? Those aren't for gaming I thought. I'm confused :pt1cable: