[SOLVED] Final solution to overheating AMD GPU's when gaming during very hot ambient weather.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Last time I posted something about this I just could'nt figure what to do about this constant fan problem and witch setting it is that is causing poor cooling when gaming in very hot ambient temp.

I had my balanced setting applied as usual, and for some unknown reason my gpu would just not find the right rpm's to keep my card at the right temp, even setup a custom profile for this and that just resulted in a loss of settings witch had to be reloaded from a config file for the AMD driver control panel every time there was an unexpected shutdown, point is that I remembered that when I got my GPU (when it was new) everything worked like clockwork, and that got me thinking what is it that I had changed since then regarding how my GPU operates, and low and behold that it was so simple once I figured it out that the one thing one would never go back to is the very default setting in the AMD driver control panel, this might sound stupid but this is the only setting that has zero issues and keeps my GPU in check while gaming intensely in very hot ambient temperature.

Just for everybody struggling with the same issue gaming in very hot ambient conditions, this is the solution, no need for tweaking, no need for 3rd party apps or any other method such as exotic plenty fans cooling or liquid cooling, (some might kill me for spilling the beans like this, but the truth about this has to be read) of now, and lets just hope that this is at least solid advice and won't get fazed out with newer driver releases.

GPU's are expensive hardware and (And if you at least bought from a decent and reputable brand, had no issues from the start, there is no reason that my or your gpu should fail before a better gpu upgrade is to be bought)

Last edited:
Solution
I have found that using the stock fan curve is often the best bet unless you have some specific use case that changing those curves is to serve. For instance, setting the fans lower in order to keep noise down at the expense of temperatures and so forth.

Up until the GTX9xx series I had always been on AMD/ATI which certainly didn't have quiet fans. My 7770 sounded like it was ready to take off. I purchased an EVGA 960 SSC based on the "Cool and Quiet" marketing and was quick to find out that by the time the fans did turn on it would just flood the case with hot air and make things worse. That was one of the few cards I have left a custom fan curve on over the years. I found that returning to ATX sized cases, instead of m-ITX, mostly...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have found that using the stock fan curve is often the best bet unless you have some specific use case that changing those curves is to serve. For instance, setting the fans lower in order to keep noise down at the expense of temperatures and so forth.

Up until the GTX9xx series I had always been on AMD/ATI which certainly didn't have quiet fans. My 7770 sounded like it was ready to take off. I purchased an EVGA 960 SSC based on the "Cool and Quiet" marketing and was quick to find out that by the time the fans did turn on it would just flood the case with hot air and make things worse. That was one of the few cards I have left a custom fan curve on over the years. I found that returning to ATX sized cases, instead of m-ITX, mostly solved the issue.

Glad you found something workable.

Solution
You're going to have to tell us what your Radeon model is, what the ambient temperature is, what your case form factor is, how many case fans you have, etc.

At this point you've typed paragraphs that tell us little to nothing except that it's hot outside, your GPU is a Radeon and that this is the second time that you're posting. We need more information than that. This is why you have only one reply and while they are trying their best to help you, they're flying blind here.