Question Finally upgrading my old computer, need lots of cores!

Oct 15, 2021
First time user here.

So, I'm using my trusty Intel i5 that I build in 2015 and it's served me well.
But I'm wanting to build a new PC that will be mostly used for development. I use many multi-core applications/services like Docker, VirtualBox, etc. So my quad core CPU just isn't cutting it.

I rarely play games. When I do, it's usually old ones like WoW. So gaming isn't a huge concern.

I thought about going with AMD this time because you can seem to get a lot of punch for less money. Keep in mind I haven't built a PC since 2015 so I am a little rusty. But looking on NewEgg, I see a 1st Gen Ryzen Threadripper 1920X for about $180. I was hoping to keep my CPU budget in the $300-ish range. I'm confused how that 12 core CPU is substantially cheaper than an 8 core Ryzen 7 5000G for $329 or so.

I also seem to have read that the sTR4 motherboards are very costly. I'd like to keep my motherboard budget in the $200-ish range.

So, I now have a few questions.

1) Is that "1st Gen" 12 core CPU all that bad? I really want that 24 thread count. :) But I could "settle" for 8/16 if it turns out to be better overall.

2) Should I just stick with a more modern CPU in the $300-ish range with only 8 cores?

3) What other recommendations do you have? Again, my ultimate goal is to run development software, containers, virtual machines, etc. Oh, and I'm a Linux user too if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any recommendations!

USAFRet

Titan
Start here:

Post in the Systems Forum.