Question Find similar image(s) from source image

King Mustard

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I have a source image and I want to check a directory full of images, to see if a similar image already exists there.

Anyone got any ideas?

The image won't be an exact match, so I can't search by filename, file size etc.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a source image and I want to check a directory full of images, to see if a similar image already exists there.

Anyone got any ideas?

The image won't be an exact match, so I can't search by filename, file size etc.
If it isn't going to be an exact match, this is an AI type problem. "Show me any pictures like this dog" ...
Google image search can do this, but for web images. I don't know of anything else.

King Mustard

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
If it isn't going to be an exact match, this is an AI type problem. "Show me any pictures like this dog" ...
Google image search can do this, but for web images. I don't know of anything else.
VisiPics is excellent at finding similar images.

However, with VisiPics, you just point it at directory and it scans it all for duplicates.

I want to feed the program a source image and ask it to find anything similar.

kanewolf

Titan
VisiPics is excellent at finding similar images.

However, with VisiPics, you just point it at directory and it scans it all for duplicates.

I want to feed the program a source image and ask it to find anything similar.
Right. Not a duplicate. Finding duplicates, is trivial. As I said, having a picture with a dog on it and finding all pictures which contain a dog is an AI type problem. I don't know of any solution for that.

Ralston18

Titan
Research/Google "image recognition programs"

Example links that I found:

https://www.neoito.com/blog/image-recognition-apps/

https://www.talkwalker.com/blog/best-image-recognition-tools

(There were many such links.)

Read the above links and/or other links that are presented.

Then revise the search criteria as necessary to further filter and sort the results.

Hopefully, there will be some program that meets your requirements.

Certainly an AI type problem per @kanewolf .

How any given program will really work and how successful the program's end results actually are will require some testing.

Another area to consider:

"robot navigation systems image recognition"

The concept being that the robot can recognize things and not necessarily be required to move around that object or otherwise interact with a recognized object.

A dog or or person perhaps.

Reactions: King Mustard

TRENDING THREADS