[SOLVED] Finding an Intel 200 series chipset motherboard these days is hard! heh heh

CorpRebel

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
I've been planning a "build" and have just started ordering most of the components, but I've come across one snag in my plans.

I already have a new (retail boxed) i7-6700 that I am planning to use in the "build". The MB I was going to get is no longer available. Since I need a 100/200 series chipset for the i7-6700, I'm not finding much in the way of MBs with those chipsets. Especially new ones.

Obviously that's because no one is making them anymore (being old tech). I'm not gung-ho about having to probably use a used MB, but my options are limited at this point.

So... ANY suggestions about buying a used mb and any good places to take a chance with buying one? Originally was going with a Gigabyte MB but open to other brand suggestions also.

Thanks!

CR

The Build;
Case:
Corsair Carbide 200R ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Black
MB: ???
CPU:
Intel Core I7-6700 3.40 GHz 8 M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 2133MHz C13 DDR4 DRAM
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch
DVD/CD Writer: LG Internal 24x Super Multi with M-DISC Support SATA Model GH24NSC0B - OEM
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 DirectX 12 GTX 1650 GAMING X 4G 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready
PS: CORSAIR TX-M Series TX550M CP-9020133-NA 550W ATX12V v2.4 / EPS v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Semi-Modular Power Supply

Solution
Thx for your reply.

I have no interest in gaming and am gonna be using this as a Win7 Non-Internet PC when I have it up and running. So I'm not worried about any more upgradability.

But, let me ask you another question, if I may. I came across the following Z270 MB:

GIGABYTE GA-Z270XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

Would something like this be be a decent option for my "build" in my post? I'm not sure what the "Z" designation really means or the "XP-SLI" means either. Is there any real differences or issues with this MB?

This is a "used" mb from NewEgg and the seller seems to have a very good rep there. Might take the chance.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Have a...
Any new motherboard will be vastly overpriced, since with most eletronics old retail still is sold at MSRP. Just go on eBay and buy a used one and save a bunch of money.

Another option would be to sell your 6700 and then use that money to buy a Ryzen CPU and compatible motherboard which will get you on a platform that can be upgraded past 4 cores.

Reactions: CorpRebel

CorpRebel

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
Any new motherboard will be vastly overpriced, since with most eletronics old retail still is sold at MSRP. Just go on eBay and buy a used one and save a bunch of money.

Another option would be to sell your 6700 and then use that money to buy a Ryzen CPU and compatible motherboard which will get you on a platform that can be upgraded past 4 cores.

Thx for your reply.

I have no interest in gaming and am gonna be using this as a Win7 Non-Internet PC when I have it up and running. So I'm not worried about any more upgradability.

But, let me ask you another question, if I may. I came across the following Z270 MB:

GIGABYTE GA-Z270XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

Would something like this be be a decent option for my "build" in my post? I'm not sure what the "Z" designation really means or the "XP-SLI" means either. Is there any real differences or issues with this MB?

This is a "used" mb from NewEgg and the seller seems to have a very good rep there. Might take the chance.

Have a GREAT rest of the weekend!

CR

Thx for your reply.

Have a GREAT rest of the weekend!

CR

The Z boards are the higher end boards which support overclocking if you have a K CPU. If the price is good then get it, otherwise I would just look on eBay or a Facebook Makretplace. The SLI designation means it supports Nvidia SLI but in 2020 SLI is basically dead.

Reactions: CorpRebel
Solution