Firefox 10 Aurora Released, Gets WebGL Anti-Aliasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I myself have been using Nightly 11.0a1 and having used the recent builds the end user wouldn't even notice a difference between 9/10/11. Only difference is misc. features.

Not too many issues either. Unless you count that one time Nightly deleted all my bookmarks...

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]64 bit whar art thou[/citation]

There is a 64bit version of firefox out. As far as I know it is only available in the 11.0a1 Nightly flavor.
http://nightly.mozilla.org/

actually, yes. T_T
right now i have over 40 tabs open in ff - 40 of them from tom's,
overall memory load is nearly 60% (2gigs of ram on this ol' pc), cannot multi task. if i try even a little, pc slows down.
all this with images disabled. if i enable image loading the usage will jump to 70%+, faster slowdown - learned that the hard way.
i am still clinging to ff, hoping they'll get their memory leak problems right.
not gonna use chrome, tab sandboxing is nice...but not enough to switch to chrome (or opera).

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]I thought they just released the final version of 8???????[/citation]
They did - this is not a final version of anything. Perhaps reading the first line of the article might make things more clear next time.

This is the only "version" of Aurora that has crashed on me badly. In fact it crashed so badly that it couldn't recover and I wasn't able to start it again. I decided to remove it and install the beta instead. I was in the middle of some important work and running an alpha-grade browser for work is not the smartest decision I've ever made.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]actually, yes. T_Tright now i have over 40 tabs open in ff - 40 of them from tom's, overall memory load is nearly 60% (2gigs of ram on this ol' pc), cannot multi task. if i try even a little, pc slows down.all this with images disabled. if i enable image loading the usage will jump to 70%+, faster slowdown - learned that the hard way.i am still clinging to ff, hoping they'll get their memory leak problems right.not gonna use chrome, tab sandboxing is nice...but not enough to switch to chrome (or opera).[/citation]
You do realise that the 64-bit build will use more memory, not less, right? Perhaps it's time you added another 2 GB to that old rig.

sharpless78

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]You do realise that the 64-bit build will use more memory, not less, right? Perhaps it's time you added another 2 GB to that old rig.[/citation]

You do realize that it doesn't matter how much memory you have, a single instance of Firefox in 32-bit mode will not be able to use more than 2 GB.

darn. i thought the 64 bit version would use similar anount of memory, or may be manage it better.
you're right, i gotta add more ram.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Most definately it will use more RAM, it will just be able to address more than 4GB of RAM for Firefox, that's all.

Well if it is multi-threaded and already eats up 100% of your CPU, how will that make a difference? It will still use up 100% of your CPU regardless. Multi-threading just makes it scale with more cores.

It should be able to access up to <4GB of RAM. Close to. But to have an internet browser eat up 4GB of RAM is crazy when my desktop idles at using 124MB of RAM...

vicvicvic

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
I've been on the Aurora channel of Firefox for months, so maybe I can clarify a few times.

For most of this year, it has been that there are four different "channels" of Firefox. The main one is the final release one that most people use - it is currently version 8. The other three channels are Beta (currently version 9), Aurora (currently version 10), and Nightly (currently version 11).

Every six weeks, a version moves up the channel. More specifically, in about six weeks, version 9 will become the final release, version 10 will become Beta, version 11 will become Aurora, and version 12 will be introduced to Nightly.

Hope this helps,
Vic

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
New releases come out every few weeks now, there's no reason to report on each stable release, let alone every stable, beta, and aurora release. Just have a monthly changelog or something :)

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]actually, yes. T_Tright now i have over 40 tabs open in ff - 40 of them from tom's, overall memory load is nearly 60% (2gigs of ram on this ol' pc), cannot multi task. if i try even a little, pc slows down.all this with images disabled. if i enable image loading the usage will jump to 70%+, faster slowdown - learned that the hard way.i am still clinging to ff, hoping they'll get their memory leak problems right.not gonna use chrome, tab sandboxing is nice...but not enough to switch to chrome (or opera).[/citation]

Dude! close some tabs! no one needs that many open!

hehe i close tabs as soon as i finish reading the pages. but ff releases ram slower after tab closing than when it shuts down.
sometimes i need 40+ tabs open - to read 2-3 review articles (for example, sb-e reviews from different websites) with all the pages opened at once, it makes page navigation easier for me. :)

G

maybe they have something big coming to counter chromes native languages support. just have to wait and see

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

There tends to be a print button. Press it and refuse to print anything. Bam, all the review on one page.

Status
Not open for further replies.