Firefox 18 Posts Speed Gains Over Chrome, Mozilla Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Good. Now focus on the UI latency. Having the entire browser (Firefox) freeze up completely while a background tab is loading is not right. It's not the fault of single-process either, because Opera is also single-process and doesn't have the freeze problem.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]Good. Now focus on the UI latency. Having the entire browser (Firefox) freeze up completely while a background tab is loading is not right. It's not the fault of single-process either, because Opera is also single-process and doesn't have the freeze problem.[/citation]Yeah, on Linux I've had it freeze so bad because of a script, that I had to kill the process.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]Good. Now focus on the UI latency. Having the entire browser (Firefox) freeze up completely while a background tab is loading is not right. It's not the fault of single-process either, because Opera is also single-process and doesn't have the freeze problem.[/citation]
One of the few Projects that get constant progress reports is Snappy (related to responsiveness of FF), you may take a look at it here. It may not be much of a consolation, but it shows that they are working on it seriously.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I agree with the UI speed comment, no matter how fast Firefox gets in benchmarks it never FEELS as fast as Chrome or Opera, things like opening a bunch of links in background tabs never feels as snappy, often lagging and appearing to freeze, the startup time isn't as fast, it doesn't stay as snappy over days of leaving it open, etc.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
That said, I wish Chrome had Firefoxs GPU acceleratoin, smooth scrolling, and smooth font rendering. Give it those things and it would be near perfect.

sarcasm

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]That said, I wish Chrome had Firefoxs GPU acceleratoin, smooth scrolling, and smooth font rendering. Give it those things and it would be near perfect.[/citation]

Chrome does have GPU acceleration. Smooth scrolling you can download an extension. Smooth font rendering, well I'm still looking for that one.

I might have to give FireFox a whirl again.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]Nice, but we're still at v15[/citation]
Officially, yes. You could, however, use Beta (v16), Aurora (v17), or Nightly (v18). Personally having used all of them I find Aurora to be stunningly stable and all around more enjoyable to use than any other browser. Stay away from Nightly, though, it's a plague of epic bookmark deleting proportions.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
To further add to the bitching above. Lets get it together Mozilla and focus on the important stuff. Drives me nuts having a pop up message say the browser needs to restart because something I can't see supposedly crashed less than 5 minutes after I open it almost daily. Thankfully this isn't like days of old where it would automatically shut it down and you can cancel out of it, but it's rather annoying.

ShadeHaven

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]That said, I wish Chrome had Firefoxs GPU acceleratoin, smooth scrolling, and smooth font rendering. Give it those things and it would be near perfect.[/citation]
Chrome does have smooth scrolling. Under chrome://flags/ just enable Smooth Scrolling.

bytehead

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Hi-larious, since today the Firefox 18.0A1 64-bit build is bricked out of the box with today's build.

I updated it today, and the 64-bit (and I think the 32-bit may also be) version shouldn't have been released (today), since it doesn't even run. And since I run that version as my default browser, oops!

(And yes, obviously I have backup browsers for just this kind of case, in fact, I'm currently running the release version of Firefox, so yes, I think I have a pretty good handle on things, tyfm...)

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I don't care what anyone says, Chrome just never feels right for me - basic (in fact, Tom's) websites don't seem to render correctly - I go crazy just comparing how pages are rendered in IE, FF and Chrome, and Chrome is the all-around loser...but, Chrome does feel really fast and responsive. I've never really noticed this infamous FF slowdown some of you keep bringing up, but maybe if I stuck with Chrome and then went back to Firefox I'd have a more objective comparison.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]ShadeHaven[/nom]Chrome does have smooth scrolling. Under chrome://flags/ just enable Smooth Scrolling.[/citation]

See but how many average users know that option even exists? There are so many options, such as "send to mobile" that should just be in the regular settings that you have to go into the /flags/ to even see or know of.

Also as a chrome user, glad to know this is an option there haha. wish it was in standard settings tho... cmon Google

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]bytehead[/nom]I updated it today, and the 64-bit (and I think the 32-bit may also be) version shouldn't have been released (today), since it doesn't even run. [/citation]

Why not? It compiled, therefore it is perfectly acceptable for it to be published. It's a testing branch (it's pre-alpha) that is automatically built every 24 hours and published to FTP server if it successfully compiles. It is not guaranteed to work at all.

[citation][nom]bytehead[/nom]And since I run that version as my default browser, oops![/citation]

Running a pre-alpha build of a browser in a "production" environment and whinging when it doesn't work. Yes, oops. We call that user error.

bytehead

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
It compiled

My first draft of a program will compile. Doesn't mean that I want to even think about trying to execute it.

It seems to me that I remember that Mozilla had a system that not only would make sure that a program would run, but would also exercise it to make sure that they got the results they were expecting out of the various program actions.

But what happened certainly isn't unexpected. Usually when it fails like this, at least it gets a little further down the road before it craps out. When I see that the next nightly is available (and that's not today), I'll download and install and be back to normal.

Running a pre-alpha build of a browser in a "production" environment

The nightly is alpha, not pre-slpha. The fact that you cannot parse that tells me plenty.

My "production" environment in this case is my home. And as I stated, I am well prepared with alternate browsers. Now, why would I run something like an alpha? Mainly because I figure that I will run into issues such as crashing and situations like this, because I like the product and have no issue with dealing with such issues because I expect a better program at the end.

As far as me whining about the situation, it was more the synchronicity of seeing a good article about FF 18.0A1 on the same day that the Windows version was nerfed, not the fact that Firefox was screwed for that day.

I've been running the alpha version for over a year if not years. What have you done for Firefox lately? And have you done it as long as I have?

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
http://gnoted.com/3-hacks-for-firefox-double-internet-browsing-speed/
These few hacks have increased speed of FF noticably! Thumbs up if they increase your FF's speed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.