Firefox 3.5 is World's Most Popular Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I like Chrome. It's still new, but has a lot of potential. It loads why faster than IE or Firefox. Although, occasionally, I run into websites that are not compatible with it.

As of right now I'm using Chrome the most, then Firefox. I only use IE to download updates.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
My browser of choice finished last, as always. Why don't people like Opera? It's the second fastest browser after chrome, way ahead of FF, IE and Safari, it has a ton of nice features like mouse gestures (okay, it can be done in FF as well with add-ons) and so on.
Still, any sign that people stop using the browser that must not be named makes me happy.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Spelling is OK, math is still terrible. How is 20 something percent "most of the web?" Is 100% of the web equal to 40% of some unknown quantity?

It's an apples to oranges comparison anyway. If MS forced updates on IE users like Firefox does, then it would easily have the highest used browser variant.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]Spelling is OK, math is still terrible. How is 20 something percent "most of the web?" Is 100% of the web equal to 40% of some unknown quantity?It's an apples to oranges comparison anyway. If MS forced updates on IE users like Firefox does, then it would easily have the highest used browser variant.[/citation]

Considering there are 9 choices on the list, and the entry with the highest percentage, that would qualify as "most". They didn't say "more than half of the web." Besides, it's not like every user is really given a choice from the get-go. Windows comes with IE, so if you didn't already have firefox on disc, guess which browser will be used...

I'm not sure if you're trying to be the devil's advocate here, or if you're a senseless fan-boy. The most important issue to remember is that the MAJORITY of users (probably more than 50%), never try another broswer.

G

I don't buy it. I use Firefox, but not sure I believe Firefox 3.0 and 3.5 sum to 30% of the users. That seems high to me...

G

I use FireFox and FireFox doesn't force anyone to update.

People who use FireFox use it by choice and they either disable the Updates Notification feature, preferring to download updates on their own. Or if they leave the Update feature enabled, FireFox Offers to update the browser and you are given the choice to go ahead or cancel update unless you configure FireFox to automatically download and install updates without asking.

FireFox gets the highest browser use because it's fast and it's historically safer than Internet Explorer.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I love Firefox and the add-ons,but lately Firefox has been unstable, even without add-ons. Chrome boots much faster and is much better for my brother's netbook. I will go back to being a full-time Firefoxer when they regain the stability they used to have before Firefox 3.5.5

techseven

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I use Firefox for casual browsing, but IE8 for work and "serious" jobs. If I was forced to choose, I would choose IE8.

IE is less snappy than Firefox, but has some features I need. Just wanted to throw this out there, lets see if anyone is going to have a heart attack because someones gave IE8 a good remark :D

Me, as a proficient PC user, couldn't care less about usage statistics, I just need to get my work done...

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Not to my surprise, I've been using Firefox since version 2.xx. It is a great browser. But for compatiblity reasons, I need to use IE once in a while.

freename

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
While it's great news for Firefox they can't really claim dominance. IE (all versions) has a greater share than Firefox (all versions).

Personally I prefer Firefox, but I do expect IE8 to accelerate it's uptake, especially as more businesses start to move to Windows 7.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Considering there are 9 choices on the list, and the entry with the highest percentage, that would qualify as "most". They didn't say "more than half of the web." Besides, it's not like every user is really given a choice from the get-go. Windows comes with IE, so if you didn't already have firefox on disc, guess which browser will be used...I'm not sure if you're trying to be the devil's advocate here, or if you're a senseless fan-boy. The most important issue to remember is that the MAJORITY of users (probably more than 50%), never try another broswer.[/citation]

Sorry sport, what you are describing is a plurality. Firefox 3.5 has achieved a plurality. Most of the users on the web are not using firefox 3.5. It's basic English, not fanboyism.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
@sunflier: least popular is Opera 10
@cookoy: poor or no marketing effort
@nevertell: never heard of LYNX
@thearm: what are you talking about?
@NegativeX: It's already stated on the article, "Of course, Firefox's lead is only when counting each discrete browser version as a separate entity. With all versions of Internet Explorer moved under the same category, Microsoft is still the leader."

Status
Not open for further replies.