Firefox 3.5 is World's Most Popular Browser

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Of course you haven't, youngster. Back in eighteen seventy two, there was a cli/text based html client, that is still used today because it requires no "graphical interface", so, if you are running linux but don't want to mess with X, then you can use this to read the news.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
opera all the way. May not be the fastest, but i can no longer live without the built in email client and the link feature. A great trade off imho

fflam

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
lynx is a text based web browser (more of a viewer really) come packaged with most if not all Linux distros, iv only used it while downloading something i know where it is while remotely connecting to a Linux server.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Woot for firefox.

Though when you lump the versions together firefox lags far behind IE. My IE is always slow that's why i prefer firefox.

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]Spelling is OK, math is still terrible. How is 20 something percent "most of the web?" Is 100% of the web equal to 40% of some unknown quantity?It's an apples to oranges comparison anyway. If MS forced updates on IE users like Firefox does, then it would easily have the highest used browser variant.[/citation]

not quite sure where you found "most of the web" as a search doesn't show that particular phrase. . .

Rather it says "most popular browser" which does not mean MAJORITY but rather that it has more than the other. . .which it does.

Perhaps thou needst some critical thinking lessons. . .

And FF doesn't force full version upgrades - I'm still using FF2 on an old machine cause I don't really care about it.

BTW - since you mentioned spelling, you might look up the purpose of semi-colons vs. commas. Use semi-colons between independent clauses . . . like "Spelling is OK" and "math is still terrible." If you're going to pick, best you should pick correctly.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
You know what this means. Better jump off Firefox before the hackers and trojans start to get to it. I doubt they have the resources to fix those issues quickly.

aweadam

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I actually use 3 browsers.
Primary: Chrome
By default Chrome seems to be the fastest for me. The browser is extremely lightweight, and gives more visual space for pages.
Secondary: Internet Explorer 8
Since Chrome isn't compatible with everything and every site, IE8 is usually a sure bet. At work, I use IE8 for work related browsing, and Chrome for my personal stuff.
Finally, Mozilla Firefox comes in when there is some weird compatibility problem in IE8, or when I want to use the 'Download Flash Video' add on. I really like that add-on in FireFox, to download any youtube videos!

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I hate how everything is a marketing gimmick for firefox these days. You may think internet explorer is being shoved down your throat if you're on some kind of bandwagon, but I see "firefox this" and "firefox that" everywhere. If it became the majority share people would start looking for alternatives again -- everyone is always trying to be edgy or cool using the independent software just like in real life with clothes and music.

G

I hate how chrome handles your history; that whole separate window bullshit; and while it is much faster then 3.5 of IE; the FF 3.6 beta seems just as fast on most sites, faster on some.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]socalboomer[/nom]not quite sure where you found "most of the web" as a search doesn't show that particular phrase. . .Rather it says "most popular browser" which does not mean MAJORITY but rather that it has more than the other. . .which it does.[/citation]

Why do you need to search for a phrase that is in the second sentence in the article?

"Do you use Firefox 3.5? You and along with most of the web, it seems."

No, most of the web is not using Firefox 3.5, unless 20 something % is now considered a majority.

guythepro

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Wait, how is this possible without a Ballot system?[/citation]

More importantly, how is this possible without politicians getting involved?

*GASP*

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I find it funny that the stats image used is for 1 week. Week 50-51. Using the bar graph if you select week 27-2008 to week 51-2009 IE leads big time, however using a line graph it shows that at the end FF 3.5 just overtakes IE7.

[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]Why do you need to search for a phrase that is in the second sentence in the article?"Do you use Firefox 3.5? You and along with most of the web, it seems."No, most of the web is not using Firefox 3.5, unless 20 something % is now considered a majority.[/citation]

Well considering that Firefox 3.5, IE7 and IE8 together total 63.46% leaving the other browsers to fight for the remaining 36.54%. I'd say that the slim majority (21.93%) are indeed using Firefox 3.5

From the stats site:
Firefox 3.5 21.93%
IE7 21.2%
IE8 20.33%

As of Week 51 2009

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
firefox i think sucks, its so bad all the myths, do a test on your PC with firefox and EI7, see which loads faster, which uses less memory IE7

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Everyone should use IE. The latest malware pages I've hit don't even load in Firefox but load quite well in IE.

Most calls I've gotten about malware have been from people using IE. So what if that's because most people use it, I'm sticking with my own spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.