Firefox 3.5 is World's Most Popular Browser

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me:
Primary: Chrome (dev). iz so shiny
Firefox: for all the add-ons and to adblock 50% of this site
haven't used ie in ages. I've found between chrome and firefox, all webpages I've been to work well on one or the other.

G

Firefox is a hell lot faster at buffering media movies from the net even untweaked!(compared to IE6 and chrome or opera...etc) Also no add or spamware etc (compared to IE6 that is...). What more do you want? Oh yes it's free. And has a lot of nice plugins to be compatible with all of the media out there.

[citation][nom]techseven[/nom]I use Firefox for casual browsing, but IE8 for work and "serious" jobs. If I was forced to choose, I would choose IE8.IE is less snappy than Firefox, but has some features I need. Just wanted to throw this out there, lets see if anyone is going to have a heart attack because someones gave IE8 a good remark Me, as a proficient PC user, couldn't care less about usage statistics, I just need to get my work done...[/citation]

i have this situation too. that is why i downloaded the IETab extension for fire fox :)

CrashOverride90

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Upendra09[/nom]wow ie6+ beats+ chrome.....sad[/citation]
chrome is alright...its a good browser but it just seems well how should i put it "too simplified". It just doesn't feel like im using a regular full fledged browser.

Firefox gives me some nice useful addons like greasemonkey, no script, adblock, etc...xmarks to sync my bookmarks (even chrome's beta version has bookmark sync)

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Eh, I'll try opera in windows 7. I tried it in linux but went back to firefox because it stopped acting right after 20+ tabs.

[citation][nom]santeana[/nom]FF doesn't force updates on ya. I'm still using 3.0.12 and haven't had to update. Don't be a hater.[/citation]
What? it totally just throws a popup in your face and says CLICK THE NEXT BUTTON TO UPDATE NOW, PEASANT and you just have to comply.

bokuden

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
[citation][nom]dragoon190[/nom]Best thing about Firefox? The adblock addon of course, which is why I won't be switching to chrome any time soon =)[/citation]

Adblock plus and NoScript are the main reasons I stick to Firefox.

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
I have tried Chrome, multiple times. Yes, Chrome launches much faster. Yes, Chrome renders javascript faster than Firefox 3.5, along with many other 'Yes'es.

Chrome just doesnt work on certain things. Like viewing raw xml file like viewing unformatted text. Rounded corner is very edgy (no anti-aliasing?). Not many extensions like i used to in Firefox.

Thus, i went back to Firefox.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Come on OPERA...!

Opera has been my Primary browser for 2 years. Version 10 is awesome!

I have FF3.5 & Chrome installed as well - to double check website compatibility on some website design work, otherwise. Its Opera, period.

IE 7~8 is still retarded - with severe waste of space by all the add-ons.
FFox 3.5 & Chrome3 finally has the ability to peel off tabs and put them back together. (Old feature since Opera 8x) IE8 - forget it... maybe version 9?

But I do like Chrome a bit better than FF3.5... its rather slick. But a bit too minimalist for me to use everyday. FF3.5 still can't save web page names correctly to save its life. Go ahead, try it yourself!

Go to sites like yahoo.com or msn.com go to an article page and SAVE the page.

With IE, Chrome and of course Opera... you'd get something like this:
'SNL' Brittany Murphy parody removed from the Web - MSN TV News.html

With Firefox (1.0~3.5) the above is: article.aspx.htm
Or from Yahoo, Firefox is stupidly done it this way: eu_train_breakdowns.htm

Rather than:
Eurostar resumes service between Paris and London - Yahoo! News

Stupid little things like that, makes FF not my browser... but thats fine, I like Opera (its not perfect) as it still does things nobody else does. It'll highlight every word on the page that you're looking for. The Zoom feature is better than anyone else.

Both Opera and Chrome do the best job of connecting the TAB to the PAGE. on their default settings.
( / divides the rows)
Opera: Tab / Address bar / Page (you know exactly what tab is in use)
Chrome: Tab / Address bar / Page (Just like Opera... hmmm)
FF 3.x: Address bar / tool bar / Tabs / Page (WTF? Can it be removed?)
IE 8: Address bar / Link bar / Tabs & Tools bar (stupid) / Page

FF is light and dark tan between active tabs. IE8 is 3D gray vs. flat gray to show active tabs... sometimes with colors to show loaded pages.

And what idiot puts the tool bar on the tab bar? Thats an easy fix, move the TOOLS to the Links bar.

If you ALT the Menu bar to be active all the time - then it really goes against standard MS-Windows design... and you have:
Address bar / menu bar / Link bar / Tabs & Tools bar / Page Throw in the usual garbage of Yahoo & google bars (I've seen people with those plus ASK, ZoneAlarm and other crap! yeah 3~5 add on bars!)

So you get the mess of a browser that looks like
Address / Nav bar
Menu Bar - - -- - -
Links / Favorites bar
Yahoo bar
Google Bar
Ask Bar
AOL Bar - - -
Tabs & Tools bar (maybe room for 2~4 tabs).
Page

Yeah... IE still sucks! But thats good! More competition!

I'm betting IE9 will look more like Chrome for some reason :)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Does this mean Firefox is heading towards a fight with the EU?
Will the EU force Firefox on the Mozilla website to advertise IE as an alternative browser?
Of course not, EU double-standards fucktards.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Does this mean Firefox is heading towards a fight with the EU?Will the EU force Firefox on the Mozilla website to advertise IE as an alternative browser?Of course not, EU double-standards fucktards.[/citation]

It does not. Windows is the dominant OS. That's not a problem. However, bundled with Windows comes a set of software like IE and Media Player. Microsoft uses its monopoly position to force these products upon us. They exploit their dominance in one field to obtain dominance in other fields. And don't tell me that it's up to people to pick something else. Most computer users are simply unaware of that.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]It does not. Windows is the dominant OS. That's not a problem. However, bundled with Windows comes a set of software like IE and Media Player. Microsoft uses its monopoly position to force these products upon us. They exploit their dominance in one field to obtain dominance in other fields. And don't tell me that it's up to people to pick something else. Most computer users are simply unaware of that.[/citation]
A matter of perception. Here's a scenario, see how it works.

MS ships a version of Windows that has no browser on it.
The people that are "unaware" of other browsers aren't savvy enough to go to the command line and type in the direct ftp command for downloading Firefox.

So shipping Windows with a browser pre-installed is no more insidious than pre-installing Windows Explorer, Calculator, Defrag, Solitaire, or any of a thousand other things that Windows come with that you can find free alternatives for in 5 minutes at Download.com

If this is all about resticting the trade of the other browser, what about the restricting of the trade of the alternate Calculator? This will lead to more cases with ever more ridiculous claims. If these companies wanted to not have trade restricted then starting a company based around something Microsoft already had pre-bundled was a stupid idea and the EU siding with them shows how stupid the EU is.

If MS had pre-installed IE AFTER these other companies had started trading then I could understand the ruling.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]Spelling is OK, math is still terrible. How is 20 something percent "most of the web?" Is 100% of the web equal to 40% of some unknown quantity?It's an apples to oranges comparison anyway. If MS forced updates on IE users like Firefox does, then it would easily have the highest used browser variant.[/citation]

Mozilla obviously doesn't "force" updates because there is still a significant amount of users on FF3.0. And for the most part, IE users are ignorant of just how much better Firefox and Chrome are, because they're hidden in the little world of windows, brought to you by pre-installed Micro$oft crap =]

G

Really cherry picking data here ... this is only for the last week of 2009. Moz has been gaining velocity in the last 6 months, so Yay! If this keeps up Mozilla (all versions) will actually overtake IE (all versions) sometime next year. But when you look at the last 12 months you see that all versions of Mozilla combined don't even reach market share for IE7, and all IEs combined make up 2/3rds of all browsers on statcounter.

slrman

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Keep in mind that most people that are using old version of IE are not heavy web users. They are likely to be those that really don't understand computers, the internet or other highly technological subjects. Grandma using an older PC for email from her children is not going to be browsing Stumble all day.

Most of the people I know still using any version of IE are not really computer literate unless they are stubbornly loyal to Microsoft, no matter what the evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.