Firefox 4 B4 Now Online, Brings Tab 'Panorama'

Status
Not open for further replies.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Looks like Firefox might be getting 2nd chance from me. I'm loving Chrome (although I see many others are not), but there are things I miss about Firefox. And...... download.

I've never left Firefox (if only because Chrome on my OS has been made available only a short while ago), however I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by the performances Firefox 4 beta 4 for Linux 64-bit (the Mozilla build) brought over my distro's default 3.6.8 build.

The interesting thing though, is that on Linux, the 3.6.8 "software rendering" goes as fast as 4.0's hardware-accelerated rendering on many IE9 demoes (psychedelic browsing, for example, goes well above 1000 rotations on Firefox 3.6.8 for Linux - but it actually depends on hardware drivers, on Intel crap I get more than 1000 on a 600x600 window, if I go over 700 it falls under 1).

Panorama is mightily interesting, but I'm not so sure about Sync - although if it really is secure, I'll probably use it heavily: between work, home, netbook and various VMs, it sure would be useful.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Re:mitch074
I don't think Firefox 4 is hardware-accelerated on Linux (yet). It's only on Windows that it can use Direct2D, the standard they're using for acceleration. On Win7, hardware acceleration works great!

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Nice. Well Firefox has done very well for me and 4.0 looks like it will do even more, but I will wait till it's final release.

enrico84

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
omg. all u guys talk about firefox and chrome. Why don't to try Opera? is not cool?? It's amazing! Actually I use Opera 70% of the time, 25% chrome and 5% IE (just when i'don't want to have "compatibility problems)..
Try it and enjoy the speed (and the future like Opera unite that allow u to share everything u got on ur HD!

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]enrico84[/nom]omg. all u guys talk about firefox and chrome. Why don't to try Opera? is not cool?? It's amazing! Actually I use Opera 70% of the time, 25% chrome and 5% IE (just when i'don't want to have "compatibility problems)..Try it and enjoy the speed (and the future like Opera unite that allow u to share everything u got on ur HD![/citation]

Tried opera...slower than chrome, less functional than FF. No point using it.

amster

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]enrico84[/nom]omg. all u guys talk about firefox and chrome. Why don't to try Opera? is not cool?? It's amazing! Actually I use Opera 70% of the time, 25% chrome and 5% IE (just when i'don't want to have "compatibility problems)..Try it and enjoy the speed (and the future like Opera unite that allow u to share everything u got on ur HD![/citation]

No addons = 0 customization

I like my browser as i want

mouettus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
d2d still causes a hang time on browser startup... plus it still had problems with displaying flash content, notably while scrolling with the mouse. sad thing I'm now addicted to adblock plus

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
lol Panorama i said it once and I'll say it again, congratulations firefox you went in a circle you made tabs for windows now you made windows for tabs for windows.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
... i am starting to hate ff3.6 (current). it fkn uses too much memory after browsing a bit (like tomH) and that plugin container eating more side by side. i hate ff and ie. i think i will have to jump on Google bus. as i have seen on other pc's. its damn fast.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
"Another feature weaved into the new Firefox 4 beta is Sync, which is very handy for accessing bookmarks, history, Awesome Bar, passwords, form-fill data and open tabs accessible across multiple computers and mobile devices."

If they can do this securely (and for free) it would be HUGE. I will be staying tuned to see what comes of that. Oh, and please make a javascript engine that works 1:1 like IE for crying out loud. Tom's Hardware can't use a forum ticker thanks to the FF devs having their heads up their butts.

Status
Not open for further replies.