Firefox 4 Blasts Past IE9 in Day 1 Downloads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinPanties

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
It seemed like my beta firefox pre-downloaded the update and was waiting for me to restart it to complete installation... when it asked me if i wanted to continue with the update, it didn't seem to download, it seemed to go straight to install... which, while the number is still impressive, makes me wonder, how firefox might have been gaining users for months, via beta, and then, by flipping the switch on the full version, triggered mass downloads.. just a thought...

G

Sure are a lot of people downloading it in Japan..seems..strange.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]bhaberle[/nom]I agree with dark_lord69. I wonder how Firefox users were made aware of the new 4.0 firefox though. The only way I got IE9 is by going to Microsoft's site.[/citation]
It was made available via an update for me, unlike IE9 which required me to install through an independent download. I'm thinking this probably had something to do with the significantly higher adoption rate.

G

Yeah, but you still need (in most of the cases; I'm really tired of "this will be the year of Linux") Windows to run Firefox.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Ok folks do a search for "Firefox 4 crashes Nvidia video drivers" and that should speak for itself. I like FF but it crashed my vid drivers 4 times last night and after doing a quick search it is a widespread issue. To solve this issue you need to disable hardware acceleration in the options.

How in the hell does this get past the programmers? This issue presented itself to me within 15 minutes of using the browser and had a total of 4 crashes within 30 minutes of using it.They released this version with known bugs besides this issue which a huge faux pas and now they are locking people's desktops up left and right.

I like FF but this is epic fail.

G

[citation][nom]Meaky[/nom]Sure are a lot of people downloading it in Japan..seems..strange.[/citation]

Why? Life continues on even through disasters.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Lan[/nom]Firefox is over rated IMO.[/citation]
really now? trust me it's not over rated....it's a great product....yes even better than chrome

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]matto17secs[/nom]I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that IE9 cannot be downloaded on Windows XP.[/citation]
Good point. I would guess that the lack of support for XP is hindering some of IE9's attachment rate.

G

Where is New Zealand? They only got little 1 / 10 of the country on there...

Thanks a lot.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
You guys are the best. Do you ever link to your outside sources, like where you got all the information to regurgitate into your articles? How about a link to the website that this post about? No? Thanks again
http://glow.mozilla.com/

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]Ok folks do a search for "Firefox 4 crashes Nvidia video drivers" and that should speak for itself. I like FF but it crashed my vid drivers 4 times last night and after doing a quick search it is a widespread issue. To solve this issue you need to disable hardware acceleration in the options.How in the hell does this get past the programmers? This issue presented itself to me within 15 minutes of using the browser and had a total of 4 crashes within 30 minutes of using it.They released this version with known bugs besides this issue which a huge faux pas and now they are locking people's desktops up left and right.I like FF but this is epic fail.[/citation]
Works fine with my AMD card, shnarf.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]You guys are the best. Do you ever link to your outside sources, like where you got all the information to regurgitate into your articles? How about a link to the website that this post about? No? Thanks againhttp://glow.mozilla.com/[/citation]
It's in the 3rd paragraph, moron. Learn to read an entire article before commenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS