Firefox 4 to See Official Releasex Next Month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZyxMEvEuuxcZ

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]why do you need a status bar? if the page loads that's all that matters[/citation]
And if the page not load or take time to load?
I need to know what the status.

Firefox is a great browser and so is Chrome they are the only two browsers worth opening. To me Chrome seems a tad faster and seems to just look better especially when its on my 32in LED, but all in all great job Mozilla can't wait to see it.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I don't like firefox because every time I open it, there is an update and it usually forces me to restart after I wait 5-10 minutes on a fast machine for the stupid thing to install.

I use MSIE 8 by Microsoft. feh.

btw - that firefox girl is photoshopped. her shirt was plain white tee. I doubt someone that beautiful would disgrace herself with this shoddy product's logo. I used to be an avid firefox user until it became a pain to use.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Firefox never forces you to download an update...furthermore, you went from Firefox to IE8 for browsing with your "fast machine?"

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

ok quotations guy, maybe it isn't fast. it's only an i7 with HT and it isn't a dual quad xeon with HT... you thinking I need that much more power to run a little web browser? :bounce:

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Yes, I think you need an internet connection to actually use the browser efficiently. The quotations were added because it doesn't matter how fast your computer is when you have either a slow or fast connection.

Very disappointed with Firefox. Been involved in the beta since Beta 1, but the bloat, slow launch speed and worst of all, the modification of search shortcut to CTRL+K from CTRL+E really killed it for me.

Internet Explorer 9 is great.

G

I don't use FF much due to everytime I turnaround I need a plug in/add on, make it simple, the KISS principle comes to mind folks!

Cantisque

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

I have the exact same problem, which is a shame because I really like Chrome and I've gotten used to using it :(.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]I still can't understand the Chrome syndrome, this browser that is Mozilla is undoubtedly the best, irrelevant of the crashes which some ppl experience but most others don't..... irrelevant of people trying to use other funny software with their browser and then complaining that it's the browser that's at fault......Even memory usage is way better and still the first 4 comments are of chaps who use Chrome lol....... what were you looking for when you read the Header.....lol.... stick to commenting on Chromes ooh-la-la-ness...... you guys are better off that way....Looking forward to another greater product from the Mozilla crew......[/citation]

Chrome loads almost instantly...whereas Firefox has always had an unacceptably long loading time. A "fast browser" shouldn't take several seconds to load. This is the same complaint most IE, Chrome, Opera and Safari users have about Firefox. If those browsers can load almost instantly...there's no excuse for Firefox's extended load time. Try to separate your FF fanboyism from your post... Firefox does nothing that any other browser doesn't...they all load websites. Firefox just takes a lot longer to get to the point of being able to load a page.

G

Unless the problem with using Athena Canned Speech Management has been resolved I will not be updating. I have already tried the beta version and have sidelined it since finding out it would not support the above app. To bad since FF is the only browser I use. Guess Chrome will get a new user if this update is forced on us.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Agree with the bold part. In my experience, Chrome uses up to about 600MB more RAM than FF!!

Install Add-on Compatibility Reporter and you will be able to get 99% of add-on work again.

And already opened pages sometimes become blank. In addition, I sometimes have to press F5 many times to refresh a page.

Chrome uses much more resources than FF. Open "Task Manager" and check it yourself!

Agree. Chrom's UI is very simple and neat. In addition, Chrome has Google Translate and Google Dictionary Add-on which are really useful when I encounter a word/sentence that I don't understand.

I think you need a fresh OS installation.

Thank you for informing me of the 9th beta. It's much better than buggy beta 8, but still not as good as Chrome in term of speed.

I agree that Chrome is much faster, BUT it also uses much more memory!!

Unless the problem with using Athena Canned Speech Management has been resolved I will not be updating. I have already tried the beta version and have sidelined it since finding out it would not support the above app. To bad since FF is the only browser I use. Guess Chrome will get a new user if this update is forced on us.
Install Add-on Compatibility Reporter and then try to install the Athena add-on again. I don't guaranty that it will work though.

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
OK, so I downloaded FF4 beta, and played with it a bit. I have to say I am sticking with chrome if there are not some major improvements before the final release. I did a refresh test on several pages, and where chrome is near instant, FF4 takes almost a whole second longer. The orange Firefox bar is an eyesore on the upper left hand corner. I fail to see the need to have a separate search bar from the URL. They did manage to squeeze out 2-3 pixels from the UI vs chrome, which isn't much, but I'll count that as an improvement.
Chrome just makes more sense, I only need to see my favorites bar when I open a new tab. How it takes more resources, but is more responsive is a modern miracle. I love having the down-loader in browser instead of a separate window. And I don't care how much memory my browser uses. I have 4GB of memory. Even when I am doing audio/video editing I hardly make a dent in it, and chrome doesn't take nearly as much as those programs do. I bought the ram, I may as well put it to use! Take all the resources you want so long as you run faster and support more things in the process.
One thing I do wish, is that all browsers were always in the consolidated view that chrome and ff4 have when full screened. There are still places to drag the screen around, if you can have less UI then do it!

been using firefox 4 since beta 5 and never had it crash on me. and the people whining about plugins not working should realize its a FREAKIN BETA!!. in the end i may switch to opera but it won't be much of a hassle since the UI's look the same

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
This Firefox vs Chrome is starting to seem like AMD vs Intel and AMD/ATi vs nVidia...

I don't know... Firefox's new UI looks "Chromy"

screen-tab-location.png

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
@Andy5174, The ninth beta is almost as fast.It starts up much faster and memory usage is better than the previous versions, though its still quite high.And I sometimes have problems with Chrome rendering the Forum pages incorrectly.And on the Sunspider benchmark(0.9.1), its faster than Chrome by a whisker. And Firefox will always be much more customizable than Chrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.