Firefox 43 Launches With 64-Bit Windows Version And 'Strict' Tracking Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be nice to include a link to the new 64 bit version. The installer on the main page is still installing the 32 bit version as is the automatic update feature when you click on "about firefox".

Google searches bring up only old archived information and I see no links to this specific version on the Firefox page.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Used to use waterfox. Would eventually grow to 5Gb+ leaving my system unstable due to the rest of the 8Gb ram being used elsewhere. Think I'll hold off till I upgrade next year w/ 32Gb of ram.

The problem with the tracking feature is that there is no way to create exceptions.

Ya want google / yahoo searches to remain on an open tab and open links from the list in a new tab ? You can still go to the respective sites and enable that capability, but as soon as you close the browser it returns to the default behavior. Back in the day, this was the default behavior. Dude who decided it was a good idea to change this will forever be on my "hope he gets an itchy rash that never goes away" list.

Want to autolog in on THG hen ya visit the site ? It ain't gonna happen.

thedexmonster

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I'm on the beta channel and received version 43 12/10. As far as I can tell, I received a 32bit version. On a side note, this release has horrible performance issues. Delays with page load, cursor positioning, etc.. I am running Windows 10 with 8 4Ghz cores and 32GB 1866MHz RAM, no reason for the slow down besides the new release.

hurnii

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Have been playing with the nightly builds' x86_64 bit version for past few months. Just downloaded the "release" 43 x86_64 build.

Looks like no more Java support. Have Java 32 bit and x64 -- other 64 bit apps use 64 bit Java. Not Firefox.

Need Java? Better keep a 32 bit version [of Firefox] around.

According to the latest figures I'm seeing, FF still has 10% market share. While that's an incredibly low number compared to a few years back, it's still a whole lot of people.

BorgOvermind

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Mozilla main root site has 7 trackers. Again, FAIL.

@darkbreeze are you sure about that % ?
It suppose to be way higher.

Further, the unified GUI suppose to stabilize the market share %.

Anyway, it still holds #1 at security problems.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Firefox STILL isn't multithreaded, that's supposed to come in Firefox 45 or later. Nothing to see here folks. FF is still the same old crawling browser its ever been.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Boo, Vista 64 bit isn't supported by Firefox 64 bit. From what I can tell it was a relatively arbitrary decision too. Not very happy with a lot of the decisions Mozilla is making with FF lately. Less customization, more like Chrome's UI, only letting verified addons run when they are so behind on actually verifying them, plans to scrap full themes as well as tab groups, and now this? They keep gutting things I actually use/like and I'm wondering what to do. I do actually want 64 bit and multi-process to improve performance, but at what cost?

Have you tried enabling the private browsing / anti-tracking feature ? When you use the methods linked in my post, Yahoo, Google, etc plants a cookie. When you use the privacy / anti-tracking feature, all cookies are stored in memory and go "poof" as soon as you close the browser. According to Mozilla support, there is no way, currently, to change this behavior.

A ton of folks, especially millenials, switched to Chrome for a while but with Google financial model being based upon tracking web users and selling that info ... and now MS adopting that model giving up paying for the OS, at leats for now, and selling tracking info with Win 10 / MSIE , many seem coming back to FF. I expect that all the new privacy, anti-tracking changes to FF, resulted from Mozilla seeking to capitalize on this sentiment.

It's nice to hear about a 64-bit version. Only other browser I can remember that had 64 bit was internet explorer 10 & 11.
Chrome has had a 64bit version for quite some time (since August last year). Further, all of the extensions seem to work just fine. Been using it for about 8 months or so now. Its stable, and gets updated at the same time as the 32bit version.
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/beta.html

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
I use Firefox, it just works.

I don't like the google model of track everything, and the fact that chrome eats resources like no tomorrow. But i do load chome when i want to load 2 versions of a browser game at the same time(1 in firefox, and 1 in chrome), but that's the only reason i have it installed.

And microsoft....ya...I'm not using that internet explorer crap.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Meanwhile, there is still no way to prevent rogue software from installing plugins and extensions to the browser. At least give me a popup asking if I want to allow my firewall/media player/toaster to install some browser extension. In Firefox, you can't even uninstall a plugin from within the browser itself!!! Seriously, this is unacceptable.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Except Firefox tracks everything as well. Every single time they release an update, they add some new tracking junk that defaults to on. Telemetry, bad site warning, certificate double-checking, etc. etc.. Mozilla is completely without scruples when it comes to tracking.

oyoy

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Need FF v43 32bit vs. 64bit performance test. Up until now (v42) the 32bit gain significant boost advantage over 64bit (except launching).

Status
Not open for further replies.