Firefox Add-ons Reach 3 Billion Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
For those who say, "Firefox sucks because my web browser already has all of the features that add-ons have.", must enjoy running bloatwares.

The more features a software comes with, the more HDD/SSD and RAM space it takes up.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]badhomaks[/nom]Adblock. I believe everyone who has firefox or chrome should get it. Best add-on in my opinion.[/citation]

It absolutely is the best IMO also, especially in firefox. It does what it says it will and does using surprisingly few resources (RAM/CPU cycles).

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]badhomaks[/nom]Adblock. I believe everyone who has firefox or chrome should get it. Best add-on in my opinion.[/citation]

Unless you like sites that provide content thanks to advertising. If everybody used Adblock, we'd have to pay for content like Tom's instead of getting it for free (or for the low low price of tolerating ads). Even worse, the sites may choose to serve their advertisers in sneakier ways like publishing slightly more favorable reviews. Try Ad-blocking that if you can, you can't even be sure about such things.

I've known about Adblock for 5 years, but I won't deny sites I regularly visit their tiny revenue stream. I'll even click on a bunch of banners just because I'm feeling generous.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]The more features a software comes with, the more HDD/SSD and RAM space it takes up.[/citation]
Not necessarily. It all depends on how it was made. If it was written properly, unused features do not use RAM, and few on HDD-s.
The other and bigger problem when these features are half-done. Opera is able to use torrents, but not magnets. Opera can be used as an IRC client, but it completely lacks the ability to create log-files (what is unacceptable for any software that can be used for chat).

Edited: fixed a typo.

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
[[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Unless you like sites that provide content thanks to advertising. If everybody used Adblock, we'd have to pay for content like Tom's instead of getting it for free (or for the low low price of tolerating ads).[/citation]
That's why sometimes if it's a site that I want to support, I will turn off the adblocker and click a few ads. Then I can turn my adblock on knowing that I'm supporting them even though I still have adblock.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
The majority of the web is unusable to me without adblock and flashblock installed.
Sure, its a site's prerogative to use annoying advertising support, just as its mine to disable those same ads when they're intrusive, irritating (flash) or when they have not even the slightest connection to my interests or the content of the page/site I'm viewing.
If those sites abuse their viewers then they deserve to lose their advertising funds.
We users never had any comeback against crap/annoying/intrusive garbage ads, but now we do.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Sometimes Ad's are a backdoor for a trojan to come in during a drive by....AdBlock, NoScript ftw[/citation]

That's just an excuse for getting everything you can while giving as little as possible. It's a poisonous mentality that just makes the world a shittier place.

G

A proud Firefox user, my add-ons are: Adblock Plus, Awesome Screenshot, BetterPrivacy, BrowserProtect, DownThemAll!, Easy Youtube Video Downloader, Fasterfox Lite, FlagFox, Flashblock, FlashGot, Ghostery, NoScript, RequestPolicy and WOT. I value my privacy and my limited bandwidth from my ISP.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Imagine all the MSM noise if trashy iTardfari had received those downloads. Thank God it is not the case or we would be subjected to endless formoron US media propaganda.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]chewy1963[/nom]It absolutely is the best IMO also, especially in firefox. It does what it says it will and does using surprisingly few resources (RAM/CPU cycles).[/citation]
That's because most animated flash ads rape the CPU. I don't really mind ads, as long as they don't make sound, but on my old AMD laptop, they bring ym system to a grinding halt, forcing me to block the ads.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
absolute load control
Adblock Plus
Flashblock
Forecastfox
GMarks
Tiny Menu
DownloadHelper
Ghostery

Wish would be updated for compatibility:
Copy Plain Text
Card Games
NeedleSearch (don't really need since I've made my own search plug-ins)

marshsmello

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]srap[/nom]If it was written properly, are half-done. Opera is able to use torrents, but not magnets. Opera can be used as an IRC client, but it completely lacks the ability to create log-files (what is unacceptable for any software that can be used for chat).[/citation]

You can save IRC logs manualy, File->SaveAs.
Yes, Opera's bittorrent and IRC should be dropped out. They should just make proper extensions for that.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Adblock Plus
NoScript
WoT
HTTPS Everywhere, HTTPS finder
Download Statusbar
Extend Statusbar
Greasemonkey

I use a few others too, but these are the essentials imo.

[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]absolute load control[/citation]
No longer neccesary:
Tools -> Options -> Tabs -> Don't load tabs until selected

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I've found that a lot of sites, including this one, are hell without ABP. For instance, the popup ads (well, in the same tab, but on top of the page) are a MAJOR pain when I'm viewing this from my phone - if I zoom in, the ad goes off screen. I have to hit a tiny target to close it. Or, with the mobile version, a little ad appears on the bottom of EVERY damn page and keeps moving as I scroll the page unless I close it! When I use Opera Mini (for those times I'm stuck with an EDGE connection), closing those ads means the whole page gets reloaded. (and, the ad stays in the exact same part of the page, not moving, blocking the same part of the article otherwise) I think I'll go through the process of rooting my phone and tweaking the hosts file JUST for this reason. That said, I don't mind the little banner ads at the top or side of the page. (particularly when they don't keep moving to stay in your face)

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Oh, and I forgot to mention the ad links that get inserted into articles and comments... (and on a phone, although the rest of the text is nice and big, the ad links aren't, making that text hard to read - I use the desktop version of toms a lot there so I can view comments)

I also use Ghostery, WOT, and Xmarks. (in Chrome btw) In firefox, I also have firebug. (in Chrome, I use its' inspect element tool)

swooshxx

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]For those who say, "Firefox sucks because my web browser already has all of the features that add-ons have.", must enjoy running bloatwares.The more features a software comes with, the more HDD/SSD and RAM space it takes up.[/citation]
Funny you say that, given that stock Firefox is bloatware. Try running FF and Chrome without addons, and see for yourself...it doesn't take FF's CPU/Memory needs to render a website.

dondrusco

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Daily Dilbert - comics (Dilbert, Garfield, Pearls before swine, Andy Capp...)
New Tab King - preferred web pages
Quick locale switcher - development/test localized web pages

Status
Not open for further replies.