Firefox Joins Other Major Browsers In Default Blocking Of All Flash Content By 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
I wish blocking Flash by default had been more common years ago. Same goes for stopping animated PNG/GIFs and most other types of embedded media.

I started blocking all media I could block by default many years ago after I got woken up at 3AM by a noisy Flash-based ad.

I hope they still continue to give you the choie to activate certain flash based content.
There are some old websites that have not been updated in many years and still use some flsh that I still visit sometimes, and I wouldn't like to lose the option to do so.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

FTA:
Over time, the list of content that Firefox can block will increase to the point where the browser will block all Flash content by default in 2017. That’s when Firefox will require “click-to-activate” approval from users for all Flash-based websites that not have switched to HTML.

Yes, I understood that part. I actually meant in a longer term, hoping that they do not drop support altogether. Although I might be able to use a VM with an old OS and old browser to fix my issue.

InvalidError

Titan

Adobe itself plans to discontinue Flash Player at some point in the future. More browsers disabling Flash content by default will give site designers an extra kick in the ass to convert their Flash-based sites to something else a little sooner. Apparently, the lack of official Flash support on smartphones and tablets isn't enough to achieve that.

mrmez

Splendid
About.
Bloody.
Time.

People freaked when Apple started this a few years ago.
Can't come quick enough. It's surprising how many big, big websites still use flash.

Anton_14

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
It's about time. I use a add-on in all my browsers to block it and have done so for years. Flash content slows the browser down besides being a nuisance. If I need to, I can always enable it for specific content.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I used to stop installing flash on people's computers, and guiding them to use chrome if really needing to watch something that was not working properly. I like to think I have contributed any tiny bit in this direction.
Any tiny bit, over time, over many similar mindsets... big change. Now, Flash is not such a big change (I mean, it should have been dead long ago; it is putting things where they are supposed to be), but other events may be, for example #BAUniC

Status
Not open for further replies.