Firefox to Get a New Interface in Second Half of 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What are you guys talking about? Chrome's tabs and menu work perfectly fine. I guess it's a matter of taste, heh. As for new Firefox, it certainly does look similar to Chrome. I remember the last time I used Firefox it was version 3. When the hell did it reach version 17!?

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Firefox is looking more and more like Chrome...if this continues I'll have to check in Task Manager to see if it is really Firefox I'm running and not Chrome. What's the point of copying Chrome? Lots of features that Mozilla is going to be implementing into Firefox came from Chrome, and some of these features are pretty controversial like the Silent Update. Call me old fashioned, but I like to know and upgrade stuff myself and I don't trust "automagic" updates from any company.

I don't know if the marketers of Firefox (if there are any?) know that advertising an ambiguous product is so much harder and less satisfying than advertising an "out of the box" exciting product. I remember when Firefox 1.0 came out, it was exciting, new, different...Firefox 10? Meh, pretty much the same thing that everyone else is doing...the only thing keeping me on Firefox are the excellent Addons like NoScript (if that addon ever lands on Chrome I might not stay too long on a "Chrome-copy" and will go for the real thing instead).

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I like firefox the way it is, with an addon (foobar) that makes the address and search bars into an omnibar. I'm fine with them putting that into the new version, but I imagine some people might want the ability to revert back to the old one. Also, it would be nice if they gave options to revert back to the old look if people want it. I like the current 'firefox' menu, and there's no reason to change it. (and of course, some people might want to use the traditional file menus) Putting a downloads indicator in the toolbar isn't a bad idea, but I kinda feel that belongs at the bottom of the browser, like the little popup you get when mousing over a link. I feel that this looks a bit too much like Chrome.

It seems Mozilla is doing what they've always done: look at features that work, and then integrate them into Firefox. Currently, the Chrome interface seems to work well, so they're porting it in - however, that's the default. Contrary to other browsers, at least Firefox allows you to change your interface - and while I, personally, enjoy opening a dozen tabs at once, many people I know don't go past 2 or 3 - as such, the major UI feature I appreciate is the ability to have the tabs on a menu bar with other stuff. And, if Mozilla is consistent, if you've set up your interface differently from default, the update won't break it. As for silent updates, they'll be enabled by default but making them manual again is a checkbox away.

elfsun

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Why put the buttons and tabs on the same bar? Don't like it. IE9 put tabs and address on the same bar.So I rarely use it.

If firefox will change to this interface,I think I will use other browsers, maybe chrome maybe Avant?
I hope the tabs can be in a separate bar.

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
it sure looks like chrome but it's more minimalistic and an optimized version, the thing whitch relates it to the chrome is the style of active tab and the gear icon next to the loc bar, its true that chrome had the first minimalism look in browser but being minimalism doesn't mean being chromish you guys are looking like apple which sues other phones because they have the optimal shape (rectangle with round corners) maybe minimalism looks of a browser is the best look of a browser maybe it's the future of browsers, if yes, Mozilla did a great job to accept it and apply it to it's browser without considering the users flaming like the comments above.

G

I love the people who want a "minimalist" approach to browsing, and then think that everyone should have their approach to browsing.

Firefox is king in both customization, and minimalism. what don't agree? Just hit F11 to toggle full screen mode. you don't get much more minimalist than that my friend.

Firefox gives me all the tabs and tool bars I want, when I want them and hides them when I don't.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Kreth[/nom]What the fuck is this shit?If i wanted crap i would isntall something that isnt firefox, give me back my original firefox look.[/citation]

any time someone uses fuck and shit in the same sentence i always listen... im not joking

wishtar

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
whatever. I'm still stuck on 3.6 becuase every version since crashes on my system. When are they going to fix that???

I like Firefox's interface because it works well with large numbers of tabs. Unlike Chromes, it doesn't smash them into the screen, but allows you to scroll through them so you can see what each tab is. Now if Mozilla would just improve multi-core/threaded support, it would be even better. At least the memory usage is better than Chrome at high tab numbers.

I'll don't mind interface improvements, but making your interface "improvements" look like a rival is kinda counter-intuitive. Isn't competition supposed to mean differentiating your product from opposing products?

Hopefully there will be add-ons/extensions for this. I use both the address bar, the search bar, and the tab bar every day and I'd hate to see them even partially gone. Make improvements, don't omit and depreciate from the product.

anonymous_user

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]wishtar[/nom]whatever. I'm still stuck on 3.6 becuase every version since crashes on my system. When are they going to fix that???[/citation]
Did you try with a new profile?

gaia

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
If I wanted to use Chrome I WILL use Chrome, not Firefox as a Chrome copy. I use Firefox for a reason, I am still running the 3.x version due to the new one being a sort of copy of Chrome and now the newest one will be a exact copy of chrome, STOP messing it up!
You are Firefox, the best browser for a reason, carbon copying other crap browsers will make you rubish, and then I might as well go ahead and use the worlds worst browser; IE.

G

i have to agree with gaia, im still using version 3.0 solely because of that version having the original theme. never have liked chrome or anything it stands for, and never will

G

I'm starting to really, REALLY hate all things Firefox for all the same reasons I hate Microsoft. This is depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.