Firefox's Quantum Update Is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow Pri

Respectable
Feb 29, 2016
I'm using the browser right now, and It is fantastic. I've been using it all morning, lets just say THANK GOD this is lighting and fixes a lot of Firefox's old lag on crappy internet connections.

IT MADE ME REMOVE CHROME. - This is an accomplishment it self.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
All extensions that made me stick to firefox ceased working. This version made me remove firefox, which I have been using since version 4.0. This is an accomplishment!

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I used the browser earlier and it was fantastic. I used it about 5 minutes ago and lets just say THANK GOD it can still operate in Always Use Private Browse Mode.

I STILL USE CHROME. - This isn't any different than how I browsed before.

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Only problem I had after I updated was to find that Firefox had hidden all my bookmarks on me. Once I figured out how to restore them to them original place every thing was good. I like the update, improvements to the browser just hope them hiding my bookmarks does not become a regular thing with future updates.

Tanyac

Reputable
square tabs... So 90's. Yuk.
55 on wards deprecates adblock, encouraging you to use the new Adblock for Firefox, which doesn't work at all.

57 might be faster, but it looks terrible and if it's going to continue to break extensions and so forth it's time to move on.

Glock24

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014
I don't like much the new theme, but I guess I I'll get used to it with time. I also did not like that it rearranged all buttons and bars, has to put them again where I like them to be.
As for speed I've not noticed much difference vs. FF56, but it seems to use more RAM than the previous versions. After installing FF57 window has been complaining about low memory ask day.

NamelessBryan

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2014
I'm using the browser right now, and It is fantastic. I used it 5 minutes ago and I'm still using it. THANK GOD this isn't any different than how I browsed before.

IT MADE ME REMOVE BROWSERS. - This is an accomplishment it self.

Of the relatively short experience I've had with it, I'm pleasantly pleased with the speed and performance in general. I wish I could use FF at work... but I'm forced into using Chrome and I hate that.

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I had at least 3 addons devoted to fixing the previous hideous interface....and now they're dead.

NoScript though, amazed they don't have *something* available...

I dunno, Newtab Override and uBlock origin seem to work fine. Browser is definitely faster. I don't see a difference in memory usage yet.

I too had to rearrange all my stuff, so that took ten seconds.

None of my bookmarks moved, at all.

I guess I fail to see what all the crybaby bs is all about. It's faster, cleaner and the transition isn't terribly time consuming. Not much to not like as far as I can see.

Remains to be seen if there are any new privacy concerns but for now I'm unconvinced of there being much weight behind the naysayers claims.

geekguy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
I am more interested how it works with automation tools, if at all possible. I started to hate Mozilla right after they didn't support FirePath, FireBug and the likes.
Also, if anybody knows if there is a new gekodriver to support this change would be helpful :)

Slow Pri

Respectable
Feb 29, 2016

For me Chrome was always fast and doing everything, however the privacy factor to me I didn't like. However, I was forced to use it just because of work. (complicated situation) The old version of Firefox never worked and had serious bugs. This new version has been working fantastic. I've been enjoying it on all of my machines even the ones with Linux.

Firefox to me in some way has always be a <mod edit> until this. I'm very excited for the future of Firefox. Ditching Chrome is something I've always wanted to do just because the privacy aspect doesn't exist on there.

Post edited. Please watch your language in these comments AND in the forum areas.

Icehearted

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
The tab interface reminds me of the older FF I used and loved, and needed Classic Theme Restorer to keep. I'm not a fan of Chrome, and I have tried Vivaldi, but neither have given me the experience that I enjoy working with in a classic FF setup. I see no Add-on bar, so that is worrying, but either way I think I will sit this update out a while until some of my favorite extensions migrate, or the browser proves it doesn't need them anymore.

Slow Pri

Respectable
Feb 29, 2016

To be honest Vivaldi is actually really good. I've tried it out for about a month. (I like to try out new browsers and give them a my own opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.