First Benchmarks On Intel's New Atom-Based Compute Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a lot more interested in the also announced Core M versions of the Compute Stick.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/intels-new-atom-and-core-m-compute-sticks-get-faster-and-look-better/

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Not that great value to be honest. Atom-based Windows 10 tablets with quad-core and 2GB of RAM can be had for that much, and they come with a touch screen and other niceties.

Willyfisch

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
You benchmark compute sticks but won't review Carrizo, which is a new x86 CPU arch and SOC.

Well, I guess it's obvious where your money comes from...

If you are going to accuse the writers of taking money from Intel, AMD, NVidia, or any other manufacturer or vendor for favorable reviews, I suggest you present evidence of such. Otherwise we take that as a serious insult to the writers and staff at Tom's Hardware.

Tom's can only bench and review the hardware they have. That means they're limited by what vendors and mfrs will send in. Intel made these compute sticks available at CES. As it says at the top of the article, these were tests run in the hotel room.

Tom's ran a lengthy article at Carrizo's launch. If they haven't reviewed one yet, it's because more than likely they haven't had one made available for them. Even in the prelaunch news, OEMs said a lot of their demo laptop models with Carrizo wouldn't make it to market.

GreetingsEarthling

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Not that great value to be honest. Atom-based Windows 10 tablets with quad-core and 2GB of RAM can be had for that much, and they come with a touch screen and other niceties.
The advantage is that it has no large battery that will eventually die and cripple the device. This could last a long time. (I have and like a WinBook Atom-based tablet, but it actually loses charge while plugged in if the screen is on.)

This looks like a solid iteration, the previous generation (Atom Z3735) scored between 9000-10000 on Ice Storm Extreme I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.