[SOLVED] First build - aftermath

Miko55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
So I finished my first build. It went pretty smooth with couple mistakes, but everything seems to be working. I am a bit worried about CPU and cooler thing. When I applied thermal paste for first time, after mounting cooler I could see that thermal paste was pushing a bit out on the sides, so I decided to take cooler off and wipe entire thermal paste away with paper towel as best as I could cause I don't have any suitable cleaning stuff for that. Paste was pretty fresh so I managed to clean it off pretty well, at least I think so. BUT there were some spots/marks left of wiping it away on the sides of CPU.

So my question here would be, will this be a problem? I went ahead and tried Prime94 stress test with default settings and after hour and half my temps were between 50-60 (Ryzen 3700x).

And my second question would be, how to better manage cables. My main problem are 24pin as its bulky and hard to bend so I had to take a "bigger turn" to connect it and cable for GPU that also has another connector for another PCIe and it's just there in the way as it's not connected to anything. Are sleeved cables solution for that?

Solution
Depending on what thermal paste you're using (some are conductive, some aren't) this may or may not be an issue accordingly. But the thermal paste has to be off the edges of the metal heat spreader and on the PCB of the CPU or mobo somehwere.

The amount off thermal paste you apply should be the volume of a grain of rice sitting on your CPU.size.

To clean of thermal paste, you only need rubbing alcohol (higher purity % is better) which you can buy for $1-$2 at your local drug store (or any store that has band-aids, etc).
Depending on what thermal paste you're using (some are conductive, some aren't) this may or may not be an issue accordingly. But the thermal paste has to be off the edges of the metal heat spreader and on the PCB of the CPU or mobo somehwere.

The amount off thermal paste you apply should be the volume of a grain of rice sitting on your CPU.size.

To clean of thermal paste, you only need rubbing alcohol (higher purity % is better) which you can buy for $1-$2 at your local drug store (or any store that has band-aids, etc).

Solution

I would say more like pea size than rice size :p

Reactions: punkncat