[SOLVED] First Build Ever ($2000) Critique My Part Choices Please

Synchro1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2016
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tRTj9G

Edit (refined per below posts): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vKyLL2

Budget: max $2000

Usage:
  1. Gaming - looking to play CSGO, ESO (on highest settings), highest settings whenever the new elder scrolls comes out
  2. Trading - am an active trader, would like to be able to go up to 4 monitors, potentially 6 in 2+years (starting with 2)
  3. Running multiple programs at the same time - I'd like to be able to have 50+ browser tabs open at once while running trading programs and games
I'd like to keep this PC for a while and only upgrade when needed to maintain #1, #2 and #3 above. Any help is appreciated

Edit: I have a 2 terabyte external hard drive I plan on connecting through USB 3.0 for file storage.

Last edited:
Solution
Ok, so trading isn't too crazy on cpu threads, so a 3700X wouldn't cause any issues during that.
Hmm... 8/10.
-With a 2080 Super, Thermaltake's Smart series is a bad match - they're junk actually. Alternatives(~650w):
Corsair TX, RM, RMX
Seasonic Focus Gold, Focus Plus Gold
Thermaltake Toughpower
Superflower Leadex 3
Be quiet! Dark Power Pro
Provided a few options, because of limited supply.

=The H500 is a nice chassis, but it has a not so obvious limitation: thermals on air cooling. The more power hungry cpus and gpus would need to be liquid cooled. The 3700X doesn't fall into that category, so it's fine.
The 2080 Super, on the other hand, would need to be liquid cooled to get more reasonable temps in there.
But seeing as you don't...

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
3900x for the cpu, the 3700x is nice and all but it's like 33% more money for 50% more cpu if you go with the 3900x, it will last longer and be better value for the money

Buy a 30 series nvidia when they come out at the end of the year a 3060, is rumored to be on a level with the 2080ti and it will be cheaper too, if you really want it to last you along time and never have to worry about what game you choose to play or how many programs to be running at once, that is what i would go with

What is the price difference for you between the 3700x and the 3900x where you are?
Do you mind waiting for a decent gpu and would you consider buying/using a placeholder instead to tide you over until the end of the year?

May 19, 2020
Pretty much the only things I feel bad about regarding this is :

1. This is overkill for what you plan on doing with it regarding the GPU
  2. Only 500GB storage?

Synchro1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2016
3900x for the cpu, the 3700x is nice and all but it's like 33% more money for 50% more cpu if you go with the 3900x, it will last longer and be better value for the money

Buy a 30 series nvidia when they come out at the end of the year a 3060, is rumored to be on a level with the 2080ti and it will be cheaper too, if you really want it to last you along time and never have to worry about what game you choose to play or how many programs to be running at once, that is what i would go with

What is the price difference for you between the 3700x and the 3900x where you are?
Do you mind waiting for a decent gpu and would you consider buying/using a placeholder instead to tide you over until the end of the year?

I'm seeing the 9 - 3900x at +$140, which seems significant

I'd like to purchase within 1-2 weeks. I don' mind getting a used as a placeholder to wait for the 30 series, especially if it will be cost advantageous to do so.

Synchro1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2016
Pretty much the only things I feel bad about regarding this is :

1. This is overkill for what you plan on doing with it regarding the GPU
  2. Only 500GB storage?

1. This is exactly the commentary I was looking for, if it's overkill I would love to save my money, do you recommend a different GPU. I chose this one because I thought it would last a long time.
  2. Edit: I have a 2 terabyte external hard drive I plan on connecting through USB 3.0 for file storage.

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
it does seem like a pretty big jump for you, the prices are all over the place at the moment, depends on what you think, if you want those 4 more cores, always important for multitasking also as apps and games become more complex in future it is more futureproof too, if you wanted an 8 core chip a 2700x is a hair slower and alot cheaper than the 3700x

2080ti seems overkill until you said you want to play the new elder scrolls maxed out when it comes out, we have no idea what that is going to look like yet, 2060 or an rx 580 8gb will be a good placeholder

Also 1tb high performance ssd or m.2 for the boot drive, trust me it's the nice to have, especially as games like ESO are getting pretty big nowadays and it helps the computer feel snappier and more responsive

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
I'm with @Mq39 the GPU is overkill for the low resolution. 2060 Super or equivalent.

A wall mounted 4K 65 inch screen split 4 ways using something like ultraview desktop manager software, is a better option. :)
That way, you'll still have a gaming monitor on your desk as well as a permanent view of your puts. :p

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, so trading isn't too crazy on cpu threads, so a 3700X wouldn't cause any issues during that.
Hmm... 8/10.
-With a 2080 Super, Thermaltake's Smart series is a bad match - they're junk actually. Alternatives(~650w):
Corsair TX, RM, RMX
Thermaltake Toughpower
Superflower Leadex 3
Be quiet! Dark Power Pro

=The H500 is a nice chassis, but it has a not so obvious limitation: thermals on air cooling. The more power hungry cpus and gpus would need to be liquid cooled. The 3700X doesn't fall into that category, so it's fine.
The 2080 Super, on the other hand, would need to be liquid cooled to get more reasonable temps in there.
But seeing as you don't mind a placeholder until the 30 series comes around, I'd say settle for a 2070 Super instead. You won't need to liquid cool that, and you can just sell it once the 30 series comes around.

-Multi-monitor setups with different native refresh rates can cause stuttering in game. The frame buffers between the monitors aren't synced, and the gpu trips up because of it.
Resolution doesn't matter here.

Solution

Synchro1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2016
I'm with @Mq39 the GPU is overkill for the low resolution. 2060 Super or equivalent.

A wall mounted 4K 65 inch screen split 4 ways using something like ultraview desktop manager software, is a better option. :)
That way, you'll still have a gaming monitor on your desk as well as a permanent view of your puts. :p
Not a bad idea, unfortunately I only have about 21.5-2 feet of clearance over my desk so monitors it is

Synchro1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2016
Hmm... 8/10.
Corsair TX, RM, RMX
Thermaltake Toughpower
Superflower Leadex 3
Be quiet! Dark Power Pro

But seeing as you don't mind a placeholder until the 30 series comes around, I'd say settle for a 2070 Super instead. You won't need to liquid cool that, and you can just sell it once the 30 series comes around.

-Multi-monitor setups with different native refresh rates can cause stuttering in game. The frame buffers between the monitors aren't synced, and the gpu trips up because of it.
Resolution doesn't matter here.

Does this make sense ?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vKyLL2

May 19, 2020
  1. This is exactly the commentary I was looking for, if it's overkill I would love to save my money, do you recommend a different GPU. I chose this one because I thought it would last a long time.
  2. Edit: I have a 2 terabyte external hard drive I plan on connecting through USB 3.0 for file storage.
To be honest, if you don't plan on playing any GPU intensive games, a used gtx 1070 would do the job great and save you A LOT of money

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks! If my intention is to upgrade whenever the Nvidia 30 series comes out, does the case still make sense (in regards to your comments about liquid cooling)?
Yes, it does.
With the NZXT H500, you'd use either a 240/280mm liquid cooler on the hottest component between the cpu and gpu, and the other would be left to air cooling.
An alternative option would be the EVGA Hybrid(120mm) version of the next 30 series gpu placed in one of the 2 exhausts, and you could use the front for liquid cooling the cpu.

Synchro1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2016
Yes, it does.
With the NZXT H500, you'd use either a 240/280mm liquid cooler on the hottest component between the cpu and gpu, and the other would be left to air cooling.
An alternative option would be the EVGA Hybrid(120mm) version of the next 30 series gpu placed in one of the 2 exhausts, and you could use the front for liquid cooling the cpu.

Fantastic! Thank you again!

Reactions: Phaaze88