First build in 5 years - how does it look?

campbbri

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Hi everyone. I'm finally going to replace my ageing P4 Northwood with a new build. Here are the basics of what I'll use it for and what I want to achieve.

1. Drive a primary 30" 2560x1600 monitor and secondary 19" 1280x1024 LCD display
2. Lots of intense photo editing and RAW file processing that's way too slow on my current build.
3. Light gaming. Won't play the latest FPS shooters, but would like to run Starcraft 2 and similar titles at 2560x1600
4. HD movie viewing. I may add a Blue Ray player at some point.
5. It's in my living room, so I want it to be as quiet as possible
6. I want to keep this for more than 5 years, so I want it to be reliable and allow for a few upgrades (maybe more RAM, new vid card, Sandy Bridge CPU in a few years?)

Here's the build I'm thinking of
Processor: Core i7 920 clocked at 3.4 - 3.6ghz or so
Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600. Will probably add another 6GB in a few years
Graphics Card: Radeon HD 4850 - Gigabyte fanless model GV-R485MC-1GI. I'll keep stock speeds.
Power Supply: Corsair 620 watt (CMPSU-620HX)
System HD: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB (WD3000HLFS)
Storage HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 (V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP)
Case: Antec P182

Any thoughts on this build? I'm a little worried that the V8 cooler won't fit in my case. It barely fits in the Antec 900 which is the same width, so I'm hopeful. I want to leave ample capacity with my powersupply. Do you think the Corsair at 620 watts will be enough, even with overclocking and if I add a second video card in the future? Is there anything that stands out as being overkill or that would bottleneck my system?

Thanks for your help.

--
Brian

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
4850 is good but for playing games at higher res i would go with the 4870 or nvidia gtx260+

maybe change the psu to a 700watt corsair and get yourself some atx extension cables for the cpu connector since the p182 is pretty tall and psu mounts at bottom

antec p182 is good choice for quietness, it has some sort of insulation in the panels, my buddy has one and can barely hear it

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Mostly looks good, but there are some things I'd change.

That is a massive monitor you have, and that GPU will struggle with it. I would recommend getting a GTX 260 or better, The GTX 285 would be good. If you want to play the new FPS in high details then you will need a HD 4870x2 or GTX 295 at least. Especially since you have two monitors.

If quiet is what you want, then the Velocirapter drive is a bad choice. If you want speed and quiet then get an SSD. Otherwise you need to choose one or the other.

The P182 doesn't fit the V8 I don't think...so you can either pick a different cooler or a different case. Since you want quiet, I'd get a different cooler. This one would work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102
Now that one isn't as good of a cooler, but its smaller than most of the better coolers out there...if you want one of the better coolers out there, then I suggest going for a different case. The coolermaster cosmos cases are known for being very quiet.

campbbri

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Thank you both for your help.

I was a little worried that the 4850 wouldn't be enough, but the 4870 reviews (or reviews for any good GeForce cards) on Newegg all said the cards were extremely noisy. I guess the same tradeoff applies to the hard drives. I can either get relative quiet or performance but not both (I think SSD's are still out of my price range).

I'll look into the 700W power supply and another hard drive solution. Do you have any recommendations for a 4870 or GTX285 that (although not necessarily silent) doesn't sound like a jet is taking off in my living room?

Thanks again.

Well if you're worried about a quieter 4870 video card you may want to research the Sapphire Toxic 4870

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102796

There is also the Asus Matrix 4870

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121298

Which has alot of cool features. when you install the included software you can under or over volt the card. You will probably want to undervolt it when it's in idle so that it will run cooler, and then have it raise the speeds and the voltage to stock voltage when you want to play some games.

As for the V8 cooler it really doesn't preform as well as some other similarly priced coolers so you should look at something else if you want to overclock and have it be quiet. Well there's also the fact that the V8 won't fit in your case ^_^