Question First build in ages, overwhelmed with monitor options

Jul 3, 2024
I had initially started a new build a while back and picked up a new at the time EVGA 3070 Ti FTW3, but then a lot of life happened. I hung onto the GPU and sold the couple parts I had already purchased. I will likely upgrade the GPU once the next series of AMD/Nvidia cards are out and make the jump to OLED at the same time. For reference, this new build will be using a 7800X3D.

The monitor is the last major part I need to buy. My budget is $500-ish. After reading/watching countless reviews, I had narrowed my options down to four 27" IPS 1440p monitors: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM, ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQMR, BenQ EX270QM, and GIGABYTE M27Q X (rev 2.0). I also saw the recent review of the Asus ROG Strix XG27ACS posted on this site.

In terms of games, my current build is fairly old, so I've been doing more console gaming. With this new build, I want something that works well with everything from slow puzzle games to super-fast FPS.

I had been leaning toward either the PG279QM (solid reviews, better bright/dark dot warranty compared to XG-series) or the XG27AQMR (300 Hz compared to PG279QM's 240 Hz; has ELMB which the PG279QM does not; is a newer model in general - released in 2023 compared to 2021 for PG279QM).

I look forward to your feedback and suggestions.

Hey there,

This may throw a spanner in the works or help you :)

Here's prob the best tested with all data side by side: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/1440p-gaming-monitors

edit: Also, keep in mind the 3070ti is not gonna max out FPS on those monitors. Essentially (for new games at any rate) The 3070ti is a very strong 1080p card, and decent at 1440p for new games. Any games using Unreal Engine 5 will show you why. It's a hog. For older games the 3070ti will still push high FPS at 1440p.

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219

TRENDING THREADS