[SOLVED] First Build, No Boot!

Jul 14, 2020
My friend recommended this forum to me. So, sorry if I don't know how to format this. My motherboard will not power up. I decided to test it and see if it worked before I put everything together. I'm glad I did. Had the CPU + cooler, RAM, 24+8+4 pins, and power switch all plugged in. Nothing. Did the paperclip thing to make sure the PSU worked, which it did. But no lights or anything came on the motherboard when I pressed the power button. So tried just using a screwdriver on the power switch pins. Still nothing. Did I break my motherboard? Nothing seems broken. No scratches, no cracks, no dings. I am not really sure what to do here. Please help!
Here are the specs for the build.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI) ATX AM4
RAM: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1T 2.5" SSD
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super
PSU: Corsair RM 850W
Case: Musetex Phantom Black 907

EDIT: I uh... I was being a dingus and didn't plug one of the power cords fully into the PSU. Now that had been figured out! I got lights! Buuut still no booting when I press the power switch or short the pins. I am getting some batteries to replace the CR2032 and see if that changes anything. They will be here in a couple of days. If anyone has any suggestions to fix this in the mean time, I would love to hear them!
And yes, I am making sure everything is being plugged in correctly now, I swear! <3

EDITx2: The mobo was DOA. No matter the suggestions, nothing was working. No debug lights. I was really hoping I was doing something wrong so there would be a fix. But nothing I could do. Thank you guys so so much for your insight and suggestions!

Last edited:
Solution
Your power supply being a fully modular 850 W unit, you should have multiple CPU power connectors, and multiple GPU power connectors. So, try using a different cable and a different slot on the PSU for the CPU and GPU power cables. Honestly though, even if these power cables aren't working, the motherboard would still turn on and simply show an error on these specific parts. Which makes me think it's a problem with the motherboard. Are you sure you're shorting the right pins on the motherboard? Consult the motherboard manual if you have to, in a few rare cases even the print on the motherboard can be wrong, and the manual might say things differently and more clearly.

glennhl

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
Try using just one stick of RAM in the 2nd slot. If that doesn't work, try the other stick of RAM in the 2nd slot. If that works, then you can put the second stick of RAM in the 4th slot. You may also try clearing the CMOS by shorting the CMOS pins with a screw driver. Good luck. It can be very frustrating but 99% of the time it will work out.

My friend recommended this forum to me. So, sorry if I don't know how to format this. My motherboard will not power up. I decided to test it and see if it worked before I put everything together. I'm glad I did. Had the CPU + cooler, RAM, 24+8+4 pins, and power switch all plugged in. Nothing. Did the paperclip thing to make sure the PSU worked, which it did. But no lights or anything came on the motherboard when I pressed the power button. So tried just using a screwdriver on the power switch pins. Still nothing. Did I break my motherboard? Nothing seems broken. No scratches, no cracks, no dings. I am not really sure what to do here. Please help!
Here are the specs for the build.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI) ATX AM4
RAM: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1T 2.5" SSD
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super
PSU: Corsair RM 850W
Case: Musetex Phantom Black 907
Other than the RAM testing mentioned already, check for bent pins on the CPU, and make sure your CPU cooler's fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN header, and not any other fan header.

Jul 14, 2020
Try using just one stick of RAM in the 2nd slot. If that doesn't work, try the other stick of RAM in the 2nd slot. If that works, then you can put the second stick of RAM in the 4th slot. You may also try clearing the CMOS by shorting the CMOS pins with a screw driver. Good luck. It can be very frustrating but 99% of the time it will work out.
Thank you for the advice! <3 Got some lights to come on but still no booting. A couple of friends think it might be the CR2032 battery is drained because of how long it was sitting idle. So, gonna wait for those to come in and hope for the best.

glennhl

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
Doubt that the problem is your CMOS battery. A computer will run without this battery, it just won't remember any settings if you change from the default values in the BIOS. When you start the computer, try hitting the delete key repeatably and see if you can get into the BIOS. If you do, go to the Save & Exit area and find something that says Load Default Values and click that. Then hit save & exit and see if it starts up. I assume you plugged the Monitor HDMI cable into the GPU not the motherboard. Double check that. And try a different HDMI cable if you have one. Good luck.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020
Doubt that the problem is your CMOS battery. A computer will run without this battery, it just won't remember any settings if you change from the default values in the BIOS. When you start the computer, try hitting the delete keep repeatably and see if you can get into the BIOS. If you do, go to the Save & Exit area and find something that says Load Default Values and click that. Then hit save & exit and see if it starts up. I assume you plugged the Monitor HDMI cable into the GPU not the motherboard. Double check that. And try a different HDMI cable if you have one. Good luck.
See... the things is it won't start up at all. I don't think I will be able to get into my BIOS. I will keep this in mind for when I manage to get it up and running!

Jul 14, 2020
The Fans are not running after you hit the start button?
Nope! No kind of response from it at all. I have consulted the manual and sent pics of it plugged in to my friend to make sure it is plugged in the right spot. It 100% is. Tried shorting the pins to make sure the wire to the panel isn't bad. Still nothing, no activity.

glennhl

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
There are three critical power connections. There is the large 24 pin and make sure it's plugged all the way in. Then there is the 8 pin CPU connector that is on the upper left of my motherboard. Make sure it's plugged all the way in and that the connector says CPU on it. Then there is the connector that goes to the GPU. That connector should say GPU or VGA on it. Last thing and I know this is really a silly question, but people make this mistake, make sure your power supply switch is set to 1, not zero. Good luck.

Oh, one more thing, if above doesn't work, try taking the CMOS battery out for a few minutes, then reinstall. Sometimes this works to get a board working again.

Last edited:
Your power supply being a fully modular 850 W unit, you should have multiple CPU power connectors, and multiple GPU power connectors. So, try using a different cable and a different slot on the PSU for the CPU and GPU power cables. Honestly though, even if these power cables aren't working, the motherboard would still turn on and simply show an error on these specific parts. Which makes me think it's a problem with the motherboard. Are you sure you're shorting the right pins on the motherboard? Consult the motherboard manual if you have to, in a few rare cases even the print on the motherboard can be wrong, and the manual might say things differently and more clearly.

Solution
Jul 14, 2020
Yeah, I'm sure I am using the right cables. I was also shorting the correct pins. Turns out the mobo was DOA. No debug lights no matter all of the recommendations and calls to tech support. Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it. <3

Reactions: Shektron