Question First build storage advice

GreenMadman

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
Hello, I'm planning my first build and I'm looking for some advice.

I'm looking to get a 500GB ssd and a 2TB hdd. Where I live, three ssds caught my attention, Kingston's SUV500 for $77, Crucail's MX500 for $87 and Samsung's 860 Evo for $99. Out of these 3, which would you pick?

For the hdd, my options are : Toshiba's HDWD120UZSVA for $67, Seagate's Barracuda for $76, two Western Digital's Blues for $92, one Red for $157 or two Blacks for $170 (but it has 32MB of cache, 64MB would be $184). Initially, the Barracuda was going to be my choice, but I've seen quite a few posts saying that they have many problems with reliability. The Blacks cost more than double and I've heard that they are much louder, but they do have a 5 year warranty. So, which option would you pick?

Thank you very much to everyone who reads all this, especially to those who also reply, much love to all of you!

popatim

Titan
Mx500 and either Toshiba or the Barracuda.
The WD is only 5400 rpm's.

Just keep in mind that everything breaks and if you plan for it right from the start, ie - backups!, then fixing a broken drive is simply a matter of replacing it and reloadig your backup.

GreenMadman

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
Mx500 and either Toshiba or the Barracuda.
The WD is only 5400 rpm's.

Just keep in mind that everything breaks and if you plan for it right from the start, ie - backups!, then fixing a broken drive is simply a matter of replacing it and reloadig your backup.

I know that everything breaks at some point, but why buy something which has a reputation of being prone to failure? I've hear both good and bad things about Seagate drives, so I was looking to get some more opinions before I make the final decision. And as far as I know, Blue drives have 5400 and 7200 rpm models, the one I'm looking at says it's a 7200 one.

popatim

Titan
WD Blue 1TB can come as either. Anything larger is 5400rpm. If you've found different then please share the link to it.

In looking closer, I don't see Toshiba making a 2TB any more in it's performance line leaving you with just the Seagate Barracuda unless you wanted to spend nearly twice as much to get a WD Black\Red Pro

As for drive durability, if you take Backblaze data as a reference then there really is little difference in failure rates, even if you take enterprise class drives into consideration. Don't get me wrong, there have been some lemons with certain models but those have been pretty weeded out by now.

GreenMadman

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
WD Blue 1TB can come as either. Anything larger is 5400rpm. If you've found different then please share the link to it.

In looking closer, I don't see Toshiba making a 2TB any more in it's performance line leaving you with just the Seagate Barracuda unless you wanted to spend nearly twice as much to get a WD Black\Red Pro

As for drive durability, if you take Backblaze data as a reference then there really is little difference in failure rates, even if you take enterprise class drives into consideration. Don't get me wrong, there have been some lemons with certain models but those have been pretty weeded out by now.
Western Digital Blue : https://www.wd.com/products/internal-storage/wd-blue-pc-desktop-hard-drive.html#WD10EZEX It's the WD10EZEX.
Toshiba P300 : https://www.toshiba-storage.com/products/toshiba-internal-hard-drives-p300/ The
HDWD120EZSTA and HDWD120UZSVA .
I actually haven't checked those Backblaze statistics, but I will tomorrow. The source of my concerns is primarily the video from Louis Rossmann and several posts on forums that I've come across. And yeah there always will be a few bad apples in the stack, but Seagate seems to have a bit too many, according to some people at least.

popatim

Titan
My Bad, I didn't notice you said TWO WD Blues... so as mentioned, the 1TB comes in either speed but the 2tb does not.

The P300 is just as expensive as a WD Black so there really isn't a point in looking at it. When a desktop class p300 2TB costs 127 and the performance class x300 , which also gets better ratings, is only 110 (newegg); I don't know why they keep making the P300. Perhaps they don't which is why the price is inflated... LOL

Seagate can be more difficult to recover data from but if you have backups of it then its not even a concern. The Rossman video I believe you're referring o is in regards to the cheapest of OEM drives that ship out to be used in external cases. Yeah, cheap in price comes from cheap in quality. If you believe there is that large a difference in quality between a $43 Barracuda and a $44 Blue ...
IMO, WD's are easier to recover from, and my preferred brand, but I don't really think they have a lower profit margin to be using superior parts all around. My data is baked up several times, not just once.

I have two 3tb, four 4tb, and one 5tb Toshiba drives so please don't think I'm prejudiced against them. Only two have failed - 4tb's, which are the oldest, and within in the past year. Getting an RMA (5yr warr) is a royal pain so they have been replaced by WD which I have never had an issue with for an RMA.

TRENDING THREADS