[SOLVED] First cell phone

zadermac

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I have never owned a cell phone before and was looking at the Oneplus 7 pro and by the looks of it anything over 6gb ram is unnecessary does this sound right? And would the 128gb storage be enough on the 6gb ram version?

Solution
What I am about to write is mostly based on your opening phrase, "I have never owned a cell phone before."

The tech specs you give, memory-wise, beat what were top-level flagship devices less than 5 years ago. My current device, a Redmi Note 6 Pro, has only 64 GB of internal storage and I am nowhere near to filling it. I never got anywhere near to filling the 32 GB on my Samsung Galaxy S7.

I don't have hundreds of apps installed on the device, but I have all that I need and use, with plenty of space left over. All of my music is stored on external storage, the microSD card, and you can direct the device to place things like photos you're taking there as well, too, as opposed to using internal storage.

The phone you describe is...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
What I am about to write is mostly based on your opening phrase, "I have never owned a cell phone before."

The tech specs you give, memory-wise, beat what were top-level flagship devices less than 5 years ago. My current device, a Redmi Note 6 Pro, has only 64 GB of internal storage and I am nowhere near to filling it. I never got anywhere near to filling the 32 GB on my Samsung Galaxy S7.

I don't have hundreds of apps installed on the device, but I have all that I need and use, with plenty of space left over. All of my music is stored on external storage, the microSD card, and you can direct the device to place things like photos you're taking there as well, too, as opposed to using internal storage.

The phone you describe is far from a "starter phone" and should stand you in good stead for quite a while. To be perfectly frank, my guess is that it will be "gross overkill" for a first time smartphone user, but better that than getting an ultra-cheapie that has too little RAM and internal storage.

If you are buying your device from a third party (e.g., Amazon) and will be using it on a carrier's network you need to do your homework. That would mean you'd be buying the international unlocked version, and then need to check whether that device supports the frequencies that your carrier uses. I have had excellent luck with the Kimovil Frequency Checker when trying to make sure that the device I'm considering will work on my carrier's network if I'm not buying directly from the carrier.

Solution

Sagar_20

Distinguished
4 GB RAM is enough for android smartphones, but storage can actually make a difference.

Even some flagship smartphones come with just 4 GB of RAM and they work just fine, while there are some smartphones like Oneplus 7 Pro with up to 12 GB of RAM, but that doesn't necessarily mean better performance.

It just lets you run more apps in the background.

In the worst case, the background apps will automatically close, but that could happen with 12 GB smartphones as well, despite having more RAM.