Question First CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD, unsure how to proceed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rabithole1234

Prominent
Apr 24, 2022
Motherboard: ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 (latest BIOS revision 1404)
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K (no OC, stock settings)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 08G-P5-3797-KL (latest Nvidia drivers 512.15)
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB (XMP II profile)

Recently built another PC with some spare parts + some new ones and ran into a BSOD today when launching a game. I'm pretty sure it's related to my heavy GPU overclocking, but this BSOD code is related to CPU failure. Ran WhoCrashed and BlueScreenView but they weren't of much help. Hoping someone here can help me troubleshoot.

Here's a link to the dump file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wk2e9cn31s95ya0/042422-10812-01.dmp?dl=0

WhoCrashed claims the culprit is 0n2.sys, but this driver does not exist. Google search also yields 0 results. BlueScreenView claims the BSOD was caused by ntoskrnl.exe, which from my understanding is a very nonspecific crash address and doesn't really help pinpoint the actual problem.

I'm assuming my GPU overclock caused the CPU to hang on something, which caused a watchdog BSOD, but I haven't been able to find anything about a GPU overclock causing this type of BSOD. I've also run prime95 small ffts on the CPU for well over 3 hours with 0 crashes or errors, and temps averaged 79c, so I don't think heat or instability from the CPU is the problem. So right now I'm just waiting for the BSOD to happen again. I've already removed the GPU overclock and restored everything to stock settings, but I'm posting this in case it happens again.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/s3xjLhko/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:050222-15937-01.dmp (May 2 2022 - 15:27:10)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:NetAdapterCx.sys (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 43 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
..and another BSOD. KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE. This time I was reinstalling a LAN driver. Luckily there was a dump this time. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgb6gu4iflv4c2h/050222-15937-01.dmp?dl=0. It's the exact same type of BSOD I got yesterday after installing Armory Crate.
I was coming in to say that crash looks like lan drivers caused it. All of you LAN drivers are from Intel so you could have tried the Intel driver updater.
But seriously. Two of my drives are suddenly dying? This seems really strange. Is it possible that there’s a short somewhere on my motherboard that’s destroying everything connected to it? Or maybe the SATA controller is buggy? Or I guess it could be a driver issue...but if that was the case SMART wouldn’t show me critical errors. I honestly have no idea what’s going on anymore.

2 drives? I am not sure I would risk a third. I would get PC looked at by a repair store. It could be the 7 year old PSU that only has a 5 year warranty. I have seen hdd killed by PSU before, so perhaps. It would be my most likely candidate. It could be the motherboard given your below ambient temps, something isn't right there.

Last edited:

rabithole1234

Prominent
Apr 24, 2022
Coming back here to say my motherboard pretty much died a few days later. Not even the standby RGB lights would come on when connected to a PSU. Even bought a new PSU (rm850x) to make sure it wasn’t my tx750 that died. I checked the board for any burn marks or oddities and I did notice that a capacitor near the CPU socket had leaked. I’m guessing that’s also what caused the random freezes during POST.
W6xSd3s.jpg

Anyway I’ve received a new board that is functioning properly (for now) and it seems that most of my issues are gone. CPU temps are still suspiciously low but I guess that’s just normal (or my CPU is about to die next).

Colif

Win 11 Master
it was the one thing in PC we have no tests for. The motherboard.

Wonder if it killed the other drives.

I am not aware of what temps are normal for that CPU. What are you getting?

I know those capacitors are for power management.
First, a capacitor conditions DC voltage to other components (e.g. the video card, hard drive, sound card etc) as a way to provide a steady stream of power.
I can't find anything that tells me exactly what that one does, but its a good thing to replace the MB (like you did).

Last edited:
I looked at the bugcheck. the timeout was so small most likely the error is due to a problem in one core talking to another cpu core.
the stack was corrupted so you have to look at the raw stack.
the raw stack shows that plug and play was trying to install some driver at the time of the bugcheck.
this is most likely the offending driver:
E:\SEGA\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2\pso2_bin\GameGuard\dump_wmimmc.sys Wed Jun 30 23:00:02 2021

to debug you have to change the memory dump type to kernel then provide the kernel memory dump
c:\windows\memory.dmp
(still likely to be a issue with the above driver)

@johnbl did you look at his last post, seems his mb was faulty and he has replaced it.
So hopefully the errors are gone too :)
nope, just looked at the memory dump. stack was corrupted so I looked at the raw stack and saw the driver in the raw stack. Most likely it corrupted the stack and called a invalid function which crashed the machine. windows plug and play was trying to start some driver at the time. most likely on a different cpu core.

stupid game driver installing from drive e: not good. no indication of motherboard issue. lots of uncommon drivers installed.

did not see that this was a old thread.

rabithole1234

Prominent
Apr 24, 2022
temperatures hard to tell, as they depend on ambient too, and what cooling you have. I have to assume its an air cooler.

I can see some getting 35-40 at idle, and up to 64 under load - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-12700k-alder-lake-12th-gen/21.html
L50sc3a.png

I swapped to an NH-D15s earlier this morning because the NH-D15 I was using wasn't actually "supported" on this motherboard (had to rotate it 90 degrees for it to fit). They're pretty much the same thing though. It's about 20c in this room right now so I guess the temperatures are ok? These were the temps while running prime95. I read that Intel's DTS has an accuracy of +/-5c, so...maybe I shouldn't worry about it.

I haven't run into any blue screens or POST freezes since replacing my motherboard, but I did get one driver crash. There was a quick black screen and the driver recovered almost instantly....which got me worried, so I was checking around hwinfo and noticed that the voltage drops pretty significantly on the pcie 12v. It has dropped as low as 11.565v, which is still within spec...but isn't that pretty low for a gold certified 850w PSU? I asked on the corsair forums and they've told me not to worry about it as it could be innacurate...but I guess i'll have to just wait and see if I get any more driver crashes.
M3GwHKZ.png

Also...the capacitor I took a picture of on the original board looks like it's leaking on the new board....There was a small bit of an oil looking substance under it. Not as much as the original board, and I'm not sure if it was there when I put it into my case. Maybe it's just glue? I guess I should keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
hwinfo voltages can be inaccurate, its why i generally don't suggest using them if looking at PSU as problem. I used to.

Also...the capacitor I took a picture of on the original board looks like it's leaking on the new board....There was a small bit of an oil looking substance under it. Not as much as the original board, and I'm not sure if it was there when I actually put it into my case. Maybe it's just glue? I guess I should keep an eye on it.

You could ask about it on Asus forums

temps look okay, you 40c below tjmax

galactica.plate

Prominent
Dec 16, 2022
its strange, my SMART report for my 970 Evo doesn't even show the Uncorrectable error count so I can't tell what its default value should be. I wouldn't trust that ssd with anything valuable but might be okay as storage. It could have been cause of all the memory errors. Page file is on C and seen as Memory to windows.

was this you? link
if not, it happened at night as well. I know cores can sleep but that would just get it to maybe ambient.

its impossible to be below ambient, I am normally about 8c over, and although I haven't tried to run fans on my AIO in extreme mode, lowest I can get my CPU is 32C on really cold nights. I have an AMD though so it will never get to 13c like my last Intel CPU could.

BIOS update might fix values too.
So I got two more BSODs yesterday. KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE. Both were either immediately at boot or right after getting to the desktop and they started after I installed Armory Crate so that might've be an ASUS specific problem...or more signs that my hard drive was dying. The POST freezes also came back, so I don't think it was my headset causing it. When I finally got into Windows, the SMART results on my Samsung Evo changed too.
PDzjKmf.png

So my drive appears to be dying...but the funny thing is, I installed windows on a different drive and then used the asus secure erase feature on my samsung drive, and now the post freezes are gone. I can also run the extended SMART test and pass it with 0 errors. I haven't gotten a BSOD on my new windows install either.
Kslmwab.png

bamzM4t.png

I probably should've put this in the OP but I have a Noctua NH-D15 cooler and I've been using Armory Crate, Core Temp, and HWInfo64 to check temperatures. They all report similar values, and in the BIOS the CPU temp is usually between 25-30c. Also the low values aren't from when I boot up Windows, they're from when I leave my PC idle overnight. It might've been around 15c in my house last night, but shouldn't my idle temps still be much higher than ambient temps? I don't think the sensors are broken because they actually work...the numbers just seem like they're 10-15c lower than they should be. Is there a way to recalibrate the sensors or something? I hit 86c on one core during my prime95 testing so now I wonder if that was accurate....might've really been somewhere in the 100s.
Hi. I am the second person, after @rabithole1234, that is having issues with CPU temps. Mine are running below ambient too. I tried everything. Somebody from Intel called me. I submitted a ticket with Intel via e-mail. I talked with Intel and ASUSs tech support. I asked in the following forums: ASUS ROG, TechPowerUp, LinusTechTips, Intel and this one. No luck with the temps. CPU shows 26°C in the BIOS. My coolant temps is around 23°C. My ambient temperature is below that, obviously. But... CoreTemp, HWiNFO, AIDA64, Intel XTU, etc. shows temps below ambient. Here's an screenshot. In fact, not only at idle, but at full load, i'm getting pretty low temps. @rabithole1234, do you have any issues with those temps? Or everything was just fine? Did you try another CPU? Thanks!

Pics: View: https://imgur.com/a/ExfYtMd

TRENDING THREADS