First Core i7 Laptop Has One Hour Battery Life

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bangalang

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
@ dingumf

Obviously a professional who doesn't care about battery life but instead performance. If you were a professional would you buy a 6 year old 1GHZ laptop with 10 hour battery life? No because although it would be ultra small and portable the performance is dog $&^%.

If you don't use 3D, CAD, image or video manipulation programs, you really shouldn't be looking at this machine because its not meant for you.

G

Yeah, gotta say I may be the target audience for this machine as well - 1 hour is kinda funny but I have to work in 3 locations and the machines my company gives me to compile our large apps on are old P4s with 1 gig of ram. Seriously. I come busting in with this bad boy and everyone on the floor will be drooling. Not something I'm going to take on vacation to watch movies with or head to the coffee shop to blog on but this would kick some serious butt as a development platform I can haul around easily.

G

so the point is.. bigger means faster.. bigger means.. lower battery life.. but isnt there a point when bigger means bad? lol.

if your a pro though you can get your exercize while moving around! so after a long day u can get up work your arms . maybe do some bar curls with the laptop.. lol.

G

Im a it-instructor, and deliver classes in both Microsoft and VMware. Very often I deliver my classes at the customer premises, and carry around a HP 8510 workstation, which with 4gb of memory is just powerful enough to run the virtual machines I need. I would love this baby, would let me run several more virtual machines at the same time, thus enabling me to deliver better education. I never run my laptop on battery. This machines will be excellent, but is of course not meant for a broad audience.

mlandstreet

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
When I bought my Alienware M7700 with the (at the time) top of the line 3.8 GHz P4 processor I actually asked them if they could replace the battery with a 3rd large capacity hard drive. The answer was no but the point is I couldn't care less about battery life. I do professional CAD, GIS, and programming. I want a single machine that will get the job done and that I can carry around with me in one container that is less than 40 pounds. In other words, I don't want to sacrifice power for portability. I think the new Eurocom Machine is great.

As to bigger being bad, yes there is that point. If I cannot physically lift the machine it is to big. I can't think of a speed that is to fast. I am personally looking for one that has the answer BEFORE I ask. I can't think of a capacity that is to great. I was really impressed with the capacity of the V'ger in the 1st Star Trek movie that contained a working digital model of the know universe. When we meet those specs then it will be big.

G

I agree with all of those who can see a definite market for this. I am a graphic artist and programmer. When I get home from my day job programming, I like to do graphic work, but prefer to unwind on the couch to do it as I have been sitting at a desk all day long.

My laptop is always plugged in. Basically, the battery is there so I can put the thing in standby and make it to my next location.

I also used to use a Dell XPS 17" monster for a previous job. I would work all day on it, then close it up, jump on the bus and the hour battery life was just enough to make my bus ride home (same thing on the way to work also), then back to the wall plug I go. So not only have I done an extra 2 hours of work on the way to and from home, I also now have all of my stuff with me, opened up, ready to go, exactly where I left it. How can you not agree that this is much more useful than leaving all your stuff on a desktop somewhere eg. at the office, and then transferring all the little bits and pieces that you need to take with you, every day. Trust me, it gets tedious. And then add on top of that the time and hassle of syncing all that data back up again. I lose productivity from not being able to take my work with me.

Before someone points out removable storage/portable HDD's, quite often in programming/graphic work, you cannot work permanantly from one of those. Plus I can stare at it on the bus all I want, but that doesn't seem to get my work done.

If I were to use a less powerful, lighter, less battery hungry machine, I would have lost days maybe weeks of productivity due to slower load times and much slower programming compilation times, especially as, being a programmer, I have a million tools open all at once. This is exactly the same as working in a graphic art capacity, probably much more so. And for what benefit? So I can sit for hours watching a movie without being plugged in? I'll get a cheap netbook too for that if I ever feel inclined to waste time. Seriously, I have rarely ever felt hampered by a short battery life, but I have all too often felt the pinch of poor performance.

As far as too much storage goes, I remember once coming home with a ridiculously expensive 40gb HDD (back when 10gb was the sweet spot) and saying that it would last me for ages. How could I possibly use '40 whole gigs of creamy goodness' (unfortunately, those were my exact words). 3 months later it was full and I was burning CD after CD of stuff, which just ended up getting lost, probably down the back of the couch. I now agree that there will never be a point when I have enough storage space. The only issue is, when it crashes, where do I put it all and how long will that take to do? But that is a problem for the future, as by that time, the recovered data will hopefully take up less than a 10th of the drive that is available at the time.

I will be hesitant to ever buy a powerful desktop again because the mobility productivity benefits far outweigh the slight power increase in being stuck at a desk. And forget lugging a 10 tonne lump of metal around. It is, in almost all cases, unpractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.