[SOLVED] First Desktop M.2 Nvme Install Purchasing for Christmas

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Hello All

Is there anything i should know on Installing a M.2 Nvme in Desktop, besides the obvious stuff? I know installs at angle, then secured with screw, and to make sure i disconnect my other drives, get the install of Windows 10 Pro done on the M.2, then shutdown and reconnect other drives.

M.2 500gb plan on keeping mainly OS, and maybe 1 game like i have it setup now
250GB Sata Samung 860 Evo will become game drive i think
and for extra files or games that won't fit on the Samsung 860 Evo SSD, then got my WD Black 1TB 7200RPM drive for that

Games plan on installing
American Truck Simulator 2
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Wreckfest
Battlefield 4
Secondlife
Metro 2033 Redux
The Divsion
GTA V

Think my plan will work out fine hopefully, my original WD Blue 250GB SSD life expected dropped to 74 percent remaining last Christmas, so paniced and bought same size as new boot drive with Samsung 860 Evo, when in reality maybe should've bought a bigger Sata one then lol, upgraded PC in June, and got a motherboard now that supports nvme, so decided my new one will be that, and later on upgrade Sata one to larger one, and maybe WD black to larger drive in future as well, perhaps WD Black 4TB

Solution
Gigabyte B460M-DS3H, Samsung 970 Evo Nvme M.2 Drive at the moment
OK, that works.

The 970 is going for a really good price right now.

2 options:
Fresh install on the new drive, or migrate the existing C drive to the new 970.
Both ways are possible, detailed instructions to follow, depending on what you wish to do.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Probably doing a fresh install, been a while since done one, and think i got the steps down on performing the fresh install with the other drives disconnected while i do that, then reshutting down, reconnecting the other drives, closing up case again, and should be good i think

Also gonna do 3 month dust clean out the morning of when i install the drive, figure might as well since i'll have case open anyhow.

Have an electric air duster machine XPOWER A-2 Airrow Pro Multi-Use Electric Computer Duster