First ever Gaming PC build. Looking for one under £600. Any help would be appreciated

Suit Up

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
So I am looking to build a PC for the first time due to holding off buying one of the next gen consoles up until now. If I could afford it, I would rather game on a PC. However, I'm not sure how far my money will get me, considering £600 would be my maximum, and that console gaming is far better value for money. PC, however, does have a larger variety of games, mods and potentially better graphics, which has swung me in its favour.

So, the question I pose; would it be possible to buy a decent Gaming PC for under £600, including both the operating system and the monitor? If I didn't have to buy an OS or monitor I would most definitely go for PC Gaming, but the OS and monitor together add up to around £200 extra, suddenly making the whole build a lot more expensive and therefore forcing me to go with weaker components which won't be able to fare against the next-gen consoles as well.

So my overall questions:

1) What build could I have within my budget? Please keep in mind that I am happy to go with either AMD/Intel/Nvidia as long as it works properly and is the best value for my money, as I have no brand loyalty due to never owning a desktop before.

2) The build which you have suggested-will it be better than the next gen consoles, or will I be better off buying a PS4. Keep in mind that I will want this as my primary gaming machine, so will want to play all the AAA titles on it such as the Witcher 3 and when Fallout 4 comes out. I do know this is a PC forum so the answers will be in the favour of PC, but hopefully the answers will take in both sides of the argument in the Console vs PC debate

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any answers you could give would be really useful and would really help me out. On a side note, I had a look at the Witcher 3 system requirements and the recommended requirements were an i7 and really high end GPU! Is this actually what is needed to play most PC games now, is the Witcher 3 just really demanding or are the system requirements not that accurate? Thanks a lot, I really appreaciate it!

Solution
An i7 is not required for most games, and Witcher 3 doesn't have to have it either, unless you are looking for max settings.

CPU_01.png

1080_Medium.png

I believe this would manage at least medium settings, in Witcher 3, and high to ultra on many others, @1080p

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor (£86.07 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£35.58 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£42.58 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate...

davidarad02

Admirable

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor (£55.03 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard (£47.54 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£48.50 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.14 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card (£112.36 @ More Computers)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.40 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) (£75.34 @ CCL Computers)
Monitor: BenQ GL2250HM 60Hz 21.5" Monitor (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £569.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-03 19:40 BST+0100

logainofhades

Titan
An i7 is not required for most games, and Witcher 3 doesn't have to have it either, unless you are looking for max settings.

CPU_01.png

1080_Medium.png

I believe this would manage at least medium settings, in Witcher 3, and high to ultra on many others, @1080p

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor (£86.07 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£35.58 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£42.58 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.34 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£158.91 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Cooler Master K280 ATX Mid Tower Case (£21.48 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.40 @ CCL Computers)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-118CB/BEBE DVD/CD Drive (£9.78 @ Ebuyer)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) (£67.95 @ Ebuyer)
Monitor: BenQ GL2250HM 60Hz 21.5" Monitor (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £597.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-03 19:44 BST+0100

Solution

Thatguythatexists

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014
Try this (better than consoles):
Intel Core i3 4160
MSI Z97 PC Mate
Zotac GTX 960
Corsair 2x2GB XMS3
Corsair CX430M
Seagate Baracuda 500GB
CiT Callisto Mesh Case
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (free upgrade to win10 soon, no point paying for 8.1)
AOC I2276VWM 21.5" LED Full HD HDMI Monitor
I tried my best to balance this out, but I had to skimp on the case pretty hard to fit in a decent power supply and a GTX 960. Should be fine tho. Motherboard offers good upgrade room to i5 or i7 later.
This will eat a PS4 for breakfast when it comes to performance, but you do pay a price premium. Price to performance ratio is better than consoles, too. You have a Full HD monitor and a 64 bit OS, and plenty of upgrade room if you're willing to get a better power supply later on. I'd recommend retro-fitting a CPU cooler at some point too - a Hyper 212 EVO will do just fine. What you see above comes to £601.62 on Ebuyer.
As a sidenote, I wouldn't recommend going for a £35 motherboard, it will have really shit power delivery and bad quality components. I went for a £55 ASUS mobo 2 years ago, and I'm regretting it now because the VRM is already barely functional, and bearing in mind the power delivery was already shit, the motherboard is now throttling my FX 4100 to sub-2GHz on occasion when it's barely touching 50 Celsius.

Thatguythatexists

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014

That was mean :( Meh, it has more RAM I guess. I'd go for the 2x4 version of that RAM though, cuz it gives you more bandwidth. Might come with a slight price premium though, £5 or so. And I'm still not convinced by that motherboard.

logainofhades

Titan

The motherboard is a THG recommended board, which is part of why I chose it, other than pricing. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-intel-amd-motherboard,3902.html
I went with a single 8gb stick due to being only a 2 slot board, otherwise, I would have chosen a 2x4gb kit. Z97 is pointless, with an i3, as you cannot overclock them. UK prices can be crazy, though, so sometimes a Z97 is cheaper than H97 boards. Your PSU choice was a bad recommendation, as it is a poor quality tier 3 unit. Tier 1 and Tier 2 units are quality units and are a better choice. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
With the price of storage, nowadays, getting a 500gb makes little sense vs a 1tb.

Thatguythatexists

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014

I went with Z97 because I think it's unreasonable to have to upgrade motherboards if he wants to upgrade to a Broadwell i5k/i7k later and overclock. It will also be much more reliable than the motherboard you recommended and have better features e.g. 4 RAM slots as you mentioned, but then I suppose such budgets have their limitations. I forgot that CX series power supplies aren't Seasonic-manufactured, and aren't the best as far as quality goes, so fair play there. I really don't understand the RAM thing, though: If he's using the PC for gaming then why would he ever want to upgrade to 2x8GB in the future? Assuming we're going for a 2 slot mobo, I say make the best of the slots now. By the time games are able to use 16GB, Haswell/Broadwell will be old and he will need a new motherboard to support capable CPUs anyway, and that new motherboard will almost definitely have 4 slots, so he can go 4x4 if he feels the need to. Your argument for storage is understandable, but games really don't use much space and the money is better spent elsewhere. SSDs are getting cheaper and I would be really surprised if they weren't dirt cheap in a few years, so the OP will probably obtain one for his OS/core apps drive in the near future, leaving him even more space if he needs it by then. If he plans to buy a lot of huge games, then I guess jumping for a 1TB drive is understandable, but given he only has 600 to spend on the actual PC, I doubt he has much of a budget for a huge amount of AAA games. This argument is pointless, really, because the OP hasn't actually given his opinion on any of the choices either one of us have made. We don't know if he needs 1TB or not, or if he cares about CPU upgrade-ability, or if he does anything that will utilize the 16GB of RAM you have made space for. On that note, an input from the OP at this point would be useful... Maybe he's already bought a PC, the thread is a month and a half old.