First gaming PC - Is this good?

Griffmcc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
Hey guys, I am going to build my first gaming PC soon and i came up with some parts by researching. Here are the specs that i am thinking about:

CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K 3.4 GHz
Motherboard - MSI Z97 PC MATE
CPU Fan - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 290
RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB
HDD - Western Digital Blue 1TB
Power Supply - XFX Core Edition PRO 550W
Optical Drive - Samsung 24x SATA DVD RW

Does anyone know a case that you think would be good for this? And also, the grand total will most likely be coming out to around 1 grand not including a monitor. So is this a good setup for the PC? Also is the i5 a good choice, because i heard that the i5 might be better for gaming over the i7 but i dont know. Is it worth the money to get the i7? Thanks!

Solution
you said a grand for your budget how much do you have left for the case? my maths is bad lol. have at least 100? i really like the fractal series this one in particular

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352031

front removable air filter. can fit a 240 radiator at top. bottom vent for downward facing fan from psu. nice window. removable hdd cage to do better airflow. and if you check on amazon i think you can find it on sale

dariens007

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
you said a grand for your budget how much do you have left for the case? my maths is bad lol. have at least 100? i really like the fractal series this one in particular

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352031

front removable air filter. can fit a 240 radiator at top. bottom vent for downward facing fan from psu. nice window. removable hdd cage to do better airflow. and if you check on amazon i think you can find it on sale

Solution

Griffmcc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014

Thanks for the answer, I will check it out. Do you think with these specs i could run any game max settings?

You will max out any current game, and any game that comes on the market for the next few years. Great setup.

An SSD would be an addition to the HDD, so it would be used primarily for your operating system and any other programs you need to load quickly.