First pc build, noob needs help

neuro1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hi, I wanted to ask for your input on my first PC build. What I will be using this PC is for some gaming, photoshop, and general use. I have bought some components already and have to buy majority of them. If you could tell me which of the components will be good that would be great. OK here we go:

CPU: i7-930 bought from microcenter

Mem: OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 / 1600 MHz /Gold Edition / Triple Channel Kits (6GB, bought already)

Video Card: XFX HD 5770 XXX edition--> newegg has it for 170 with shipping (don't want anything to hardcore just something bang for the buck)

PSU: I was thinking either Corsair HX650 or XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W XXX Edition ( I want something modular just cause of the cable management)

Case: Either Thermaltake V3 black edition or Gladiator 600

CPU Cooler: Either Coolermaster hyper 212 plus or Thermaltake Contac 29 or Dark Knight (I want to try to overclock, never done it and would want to do it for a overclock of 3.4-3.6 ghz if possible with these coolers)

HD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 500GB, 7200rpm, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM

DVD: LG GH22NS40 DVD Writer - DVD+R 22x, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6x, DVD-RAM 12x, SATA,(OEM)

Memory Card Reader: any suggestions?

Motherboard: I was having difficulty deciding between ASUS P6T/P6T SE or EVGA X58 3X SLI. I found the EVGA for 214 after BCB and ASUS ones for 200 after BCB (not SE one)/170 after BCB (SE one). I was just confused because on some forums people have problems with the memory I have with these boards, I really liked the EVGA board and plus I heard they have good support and comes with lifetime warranty.

I was also wondering if you guys could recommend case fans for my case, want to have adequate cooling.

Any help would be appreciated, if you can help me narrow down from the parts I have that would great.

Thanks in advance

If you can return the RAM, I would do it. OCZ has some compatibility issues, especially with Intel, due to the sticks' high voltage requirements.

You'd do a lot better on the advice side if you gave us a budget...

Here's what I suggest:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R $210. A higher quality board that has more features than either the Asus or EVGA you listed. It's extremely future proof with USB 3/SATA III support.
RAM: G.Skill Pi 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $185. If you can return the OCZ sticks, these will be faster and better quality.
GPU: HD 5770 $150. The XXX version is just a factor overclock and isn't worth paying extra for.
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55. A faster HDD that's also cheaper.
Case: Coolermaster 690 $70. A high quality, cheap case that's big enough for your needs. You don't need extra fans.
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W $80. Not modular, but it's not a cable management issue if the case is bottom mounted. 750W would also be overkill.
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $22
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $35

banthracis

Distinguished

neuro1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
so you wouldn't recommend going for the other boards? I can't return the OCZ ram and the HD 5770 XXX listed is the same price as the regular one on newegg for 169.99. How much can I overclock using the Hyper 212 Plus? If I were to crossfire another HD 5770 in the future will 650w power supply be enough, as well as overclock a little bit?

Thanks for your help

The one I linked to is the best in your budget. Brand really doesn't matter for the new GPUs. Grab a 5770 for about $150. I have no idea on how high you can overclock. A lot of that depends on other factors (ambient temps, the case, location of the tower, etc.). I've heard getting to 4.0 GHz isn't unreasonable. 650W is more than enough for Crossfire and overclocking.