First PC Build

First PC Build

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I'm looking to build my first PC. I will be using it for gaming and video editing so graphics and "smoothness" of operations is my main focus.I have some options in mind, would just like some insight/ opinions on what I have in mind so far.

• CPU: Intel i7 4770k 3.4GHz
    MoBo: ASUS z87 pro OR MSI z87-g45 gamingOR ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO - motherboard - ATX - LGA1150 Socket - Z87 - LGA1150 Socket (Opinions please)
    Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5 OR Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB(2x8GB0 DDR3 1600MHz
    HDD: Seagate ST3000DM001 Barracuda 7200.14 Hard Drive - 3TB, SATA III (6Gb/s), 3.5", 7200RPM, 64MB
    Power Supply:Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 Power Supply - 750 Watts
    CPU Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H110 Liquid Cooler - 280mm Radiator, 2 x 140mm Fans

I'll decide on a case and/or maybe more fans if needed later. Just want some opinions on this setup and how it might run, and if anyone thinks I'll run into any issues with this (compatibility wise). Any suggestions/comments/ or concerns on this setup would greatly be appreciated.

Solution
with unlocked multipliers processors and if you are going for overclock, pick the Asus Hero for the best. Will provide you maximum stability and best performance to connected components with your board. With gpu, go with Asus again. For quieter and cooler working operation, i would recommend Asus over EVGA as performance difference won't vary. Also, with Asus board and gpu your gpu compatibility compatibility will let you gain in performance with some %age.
With Ram i would get better speeds like 2100Mhz or so. Try out Trident X series:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Total:...

brarboy

Honorable
with unlocked multipliers processors and if you are going for overclock, pick the Asus Hero for the best. Will provide you maximum stability and best performance to connected components with your board. With gpu, go with Asus again. For quieter and cooler working operation, i would recommend Asus over EVGA as performance difference won't vary. Also, with Asus board and gpu your gpu compatibility compatibility will let you gain in performance with some %age.
With Ram i would get better speeds like 2100Mhz or so. Try out Trident X series:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $179.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-08 03:44 EDT-0400)

Rest of the things look well and good in their terms. If you want to reduce the amount, look for 650W psu which will be enough for your build.

Solution

First PC Build

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Thanks for a quick and informative response. I will definitely look into higher speeds of ram and a lower power supply as well. I think I'm going with the ASUS Hero as well, seems more suited to my needs.

brarboy

Honorable

good luck buddy, enjoy :)

First PC Build

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Also I ran across an ASUS Maximus VI Extreme MoBo, Or the maximus Formula. I looked into a smaller power supply and faster RAM, was able to trade them out and keep the build roughly the same price. Leaning more towards the Formula over the Extreme based on reviews saying its more for OC. Never dabbled in OC so I dont know if I'll need it or not.

Here is what I have so far http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3oqkC

brarboy

Honorable

Part comes to, do you really need those extra features of Formula over Hero? Both will OC you processor at same level and stabilization. If you need them then sure go for the Formula board, otherwise Hero will be more than enough. If you really want to spend money, put on graphics card to increase you performance boost level in gaming and application renderings. Think about it again.