Question First post ! GPU usage spikes and framerate drops

Jul 22, 2022
I have an ASUS GU502LW Zephyrus M15
I didn't have this problem before but now whenever i run any game it starts out perfectly for example league of legends at 200 frames but then after like 5-10min frame rate would drop to 80-90, I tried other games but still had the same problem, GPU usage would be normal like 30-50% on simple games but after a while spikes to 100 with intense frame drops and it keeps spiking until i restart the game which gives me 10 more minutes before the spikes start happening again.
I reinstalled almost all drivers and updated everything but still had the same problem so i tested a simple game (The long dark) and recorded the statistics using HWINFO and i saw the spikes at 99% but have no idea what caused it, (No other program than the game was using the gpu, i checked using task manager).
If anyone can help me i'll post the HWINFO file link. Maybe you see something i dont.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1auPvOfezCTx9dm4gdNaHRtx8N9aaPRn3/view?usp=sharing
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 362816

I don't know what the laptop's cooler is tbh.

Oh it's a laptop.... You can't replace the cooler in that they just run hot, What is the model of it. Nvm Maybe I should have read the thread lol... my bad.. Repaste might help a bit.

I think that model used liquid metal, if that is the case your temps do not make sense at all to me. If that model does use liquid metal if you don't know what you are doing don't take it apart LM is conductive and a mess to clean up / change / remove.

Jul 22, 2022
Oh it's a laptop.... You can't replace the cooler in that they just run hot, What is the model of it. Nvm Maybe I should have read the thread lol... my bad.. Repaste might help a bit.

I think that model used liquid metal, if that is the case your temps do not make sense at all to me. If that model does use liquid metal if you don't know what you are doing don't take it apart LM is conductive and a mess to clean up / change / remove.
Exactly i thought about changing thermal paste but i remembered it uses liquid metal and i don't know if it is whats causing the problem i've had the laptop for about 10 months, it didn't make sense that it would dry up so quickly, that's whats confusing me

D

Deleted member 362816

Exactly i thought about changing thermal paste but i remembered it uses liquid metal and i don't know if it is whats causing the problem i've had the laptop for about 10 months, it didn't make sense that it would dry up so quickly, that's whats confusing me

10 months old? If you want just RMA it to Asus.

D

Deleted member 362816

i live in a remote country it would take a while to transport it so i can get a refund (if i get one) plus i need it for my college projects and don't have a replacement. Do you think it's a software problem like if i reinstalled windows it might be fixed ? i've searched a lot but never seem to find anyone with the same problem.

Reinstalling windows is always worth a try.

Jul 22, 2022
10 months old? If you want just RMA it to Asus.
i live in a remote country it would take a while to transport it so i can get a refund (if i get one) plus i need it for my college projects and don't have a replacement. Do you think it's a software problem like if i reinstalled windows it might be fixed ? i've searched a lot but never seem to find anyone with the same problem.

D

Deleted member 362816

So i've uninstalled windows and downloaded the latest drivers but the problem is still there, i don't know whats the main cause could it be the thermal paste ? when i've only had it for almost a year

What are your CPU temps under load now?

D

Deleted member 362816

Same as before with the throttling , nothing changed whatsoever

I still would advise to RMA it since it is under warranty. I watched a few videos with that laptop with the liquid metal and their temps do not seem to be as poor as yours. I don't know what else to add to help as it is a laptop and troubleshooting wise you have already done everything.

I wish you luck in your endeavor.

Jul 22, 2022
I still would advise to RMA it since it is under warranty. I watched a few videos with that laptop with the liquid metal and their temps do not seem to be as poor as yours. I don't know what else to add to help as it is a laptop and troubleshooting wise you have already done everything.

I wish you luck in your endeavor.
Ok, thanks I'll try sending it back if i can