[SOLVED] [First Post] help upgrading my prebuilt Pc!

Jan 13, 2022
Looking to upgrade my pc that I bought back in my senior year of high school in 2013 as I’m having issues with FPS in newer games (can’t get above 50 but hovering between 30-45 in vanguard for example) I’m new to this and would love some help on what’s holding it back this is what I’ve gathered from where I purchased it but I’ll also provide a link at the bottom of my post.
thank you again in advance!
Ryzen 1200 3.1 GHz quad core
GTX 1050ti 4GB
8GB DDR4 2400
AMD R Series
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077QDM2DP?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Solution
GTX 1050ti 4GB

Biggest clause to determinate FPS in games. The better GPU you have, the more FPS you can get.

However, if you were to go with the best GPU on the market (RTX 3090 TI), then you won't get 200+ FPS, since your CPU will be bottlenecked by much faster GPU. Hence, why CPU also plays a role. And that is not all, RAM amount matters as well, where when there isn't enough RAM for game to use, you can see stutters (old RAM data is being erased, to free up RAM, while new data is written).

So, best to balance out CPU and GPU performance, so neither would be bottleneck and also have plenty of RAM, 16 GB minimum, while 32 GB, with latest games, is preferred.

For minimum, new GPU gives you more FPS. But once your RAM amount...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
GTX 1050ti 4GB

Biggest clause to determinate FPS in games. The better GPU you have, the more FPS you can get.

However, if you were to go with the best GPU on the market (RTX 3090 TI), then you won't get 200+ FPS, since your CPU will be bottlenecked by much faster GPU. Hence, why CPU also plays a role. And that is not all, RAM amount matters as well, where when there isn't enough RAM for game to use, you can see stutters (old RAM data is being erased, to free up RAM, while new data is written).

So, best to balance out CPU and GPU performance, so neither would be bottleneck and also have plenty of RAM, 16 GB minimum, while 32 GB, with latest games, is preferred.

For minimum, new GPU gives you more FPS. But once your RAM amount and/or CPU are starting to bottleneck your new GPU, you need to look towards upgrading those as well.

Now, it isn't as easy as just buying better GPU and slapping it in. You have to also look your current PSU's max wattage. Your GPU is 75W but better GPUs require more power. For example, GTX 1660 Ti is 120W while RTX 3060 is 170W.
So, what is your PSU make and model (or part number), so we could suggest GPU that suits it.

Solution
Jan 13, 2022
I’m looking to not get the beat but just something that’ll give me a solid 100or so FPS in vanguard as well as any new call of duty’s as that’s really all I play on my free time (I don’t have much lol) my PSU is a Thermaltake smart 500W haven’t had any issues with it that I know of tho I would say my budget would be $800 or so

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022

For minimum, new GPU gives you more FPS. But once your RAM amount and/or CPU are starting to bottleneck your new GPU, you need to look towards upgrading those as well.

Now, it isn't as easy as just buying better GPU and slapping it in. You have to also look your current PSU's max wattage. Your GPU is 75W but better GPUs require more power. For example, GTX 1660 Ti is 120W while RTX 3060 is 170W.
So, what is your PSU make and model (or part number), so we could suggest GPU that suits it.

I’m looking to not get the beat but just something that’ll give me a solid 100or so FPS in vanguard as well as any new call of duty’s as that’s really all I play on my free time (I don’t have much lol) my PSU is a Thermaltake smart 500W haven’t had any issues with it that I know of tho I would say my budget would be $800 or so as well as wanting to upgrade my graphics card if you think that would need an upgrade as well like I said I’m new to this so I’m not sure
You need to make a choice.
Do you scrap the innards and start over......serious bucks.
Do you pick around the edges and make it better.

Run this and post a LINK to the results page.
PC Benchmark

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
just something that’ll give me a solid 100or so FPS in vanguard as well as any new call of duty’s

If you lower in-game graphics and/or play at lower resolution, you can get ~100 FPS with your current GPU. However, to get ~100 FPS @ 1080p with high/ultra settings, you may look towards GTX 1660 TI.

I have GTX 1660 TI and for 1080p gaming, that GPU does very well. Depending on a game, i get 80-144 FPS. Maybe even more, but since i have 144 Hz monitor, i've capped FPS to 144. Any more and i'd see screen tearing.

my PSU is a Thermaltake smart 500W haven’t had any issues with it that I know of

A crap quality PSU. And just because you haven't had any issues with it, thus far, doesn't mean none are coming, when you put far beefier GPU in there. Here, i'd be upgrading PSU as well. Namely because PSU is the most important component inside the PC, since it powers everything. And when crap quality PSU blows up, it has the magical ability to fry everything it is connected to.

That being said;
Good quality PSU - Seasonic Focus GX-550,
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-GX-550-Full-Modular-Application-SSR-550FX/dp/B07WQYM74W/?th=1
And GTX 1660 Ti,
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeForce-DisplayPort-Windforce-Gv-N166TOC-6GD/dp/B07NJPKZQG/

Total price: just shy of 800 bucks.

(At the time of me writing this reply, GPU was in stock.)

Note: If you buy any of the RTX series GPUs, you need to up the PSU wattage, up to 850W, just to be safe. E.g RTX 3060 would do fine with 650W unit, while RTX 3070 merits 750W unit.

Jan 13, 2022
You need to make a choice.
Do you scrap the innards and start over......serious bucks.
Do you pick around the edges and make it better.

Run this and post a LINK to the results page.
PC Benchmark
I’ll post as soon as I am home but I’m not looking to completely start a new build just upgrade what needs to be upgraded for a decent performance increase