First Pre-Built Desktop With AMD's $900 FX-9590 Spotted

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think this would have been better in a 600T limited edition AMD chassis with a ASUS crosshair V formula Z, AMD branded RAM and a single GTX780 or HD7970 GHZ edition ASUS TOP card topped off with a H100i

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
AMD will sell this CPU at the price people would pay, in few weeks the price would drop by 1/2 and then again until it would be at same price point of current 8350.

Stealthman80

Honorable
May 2, 2012

well my 212 Evo can handle my 8350@4.7ghz and lately 4.5ghz because its summer. so unless then CLC is worse then the 212 it certainly can handle it

jee_are

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Here is a review of the FX-9590:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/zardon/amd-fx9590-5ghz-review-w-gigabyte-990fxa-ud5/

Conclusion: Meh

Apart from distorting results by not running Intel chips at stock in a review, I mean listen to how stupid this sounds, they ran a overclocked Intel Extreme and i7 Socket 1155 and 1150 part compared it to a stock FX9590:sarcastic: and they call themselves reviewers. So it consumed 317w under load at 5ghz and a i7 3960X at 4.8ghz (probably unstable as $#@#) uses like 420w:sarcastic: In the gaming benches, beats by a little, equals or loses by such miniscule amounts to the top end Intel Extreme:sarcastic:

jee_are

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006

Actually, if you look closely, you'll see that the FX chip is also overclocked. It just doesn't have much headroom. They were not able to push it passed 5GHz (which is the Turbo clock rate, default is 4.7) as anything above was unstable and would have required a more hardcore cooling solution. I think we can agree that most games are not CPU bound (at least not with these chips) and that more CPU intensive metrics (e.g. media encoding) paint a better picture of a CPU's capabilities. If you look at these results you'll find more chips included in the benches at stock and overclocked.

Cheers

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
does the .8-1 ghz boost over a 8350 really make that much of a difference ? this has to be asked , PLEASE TOMS do a CPU comparision. Since I built my system on a 8350 there is no other upgrade route for me currently so inquiring mind would like to know! if in a year's time when this chip gets massive price cuts I want to know if the upgrade would be worth it. Assuming my main board doesn't support the steam roller chips that will likely be out then (I do have an asus sabertooth MB so it might very well support some steamrolers with a future bios update). but just in case , would really like to see actual numbers on this one.

for those that don't know the 8350 is 8 core , and clocks at 4.0 ghz to 4.5 on turbo core.

Even the encoding reviews workbenches the 9590 did well reletive to the i7's although the big stumbling point is the price, if they costed around the $250 and $400 mark respectively they may have sold by the boatload all things said OEMs sell and is it wrong for AMD to sell to make profit even if off OEM only?

MichaelC4

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
They were $1,199 at TigerDirect. I've still got the catalog. And, I'm holding on to my FX60(939) rig because that was the last time AMD was on top. I keep it for old school games that don't run well on new rigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.