First Preview of Gigabyte's Radeon HD 7970 With 5 Fans

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]This is going to be a disaster... No way such tiny fans can beat 3x80mm or 2x120mm. That is, unless they have something else up their sleeves.[/citation]

Such as the fact that the fans don't take up heat sink space, so the heat sink is likely huge with incredibly high surface area. The fans don't need to beat larger fans because that's the job of the larger heat sink. The fans just need to move enough air for the huge surface area of the heat sink to pick up the slack and then some.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]40mm fans have gotten quieter. for example fractal has some 4000rpm 40mm fans at 10-19 dba[/citation]
40mm fans at 4000rpm is basically no airflow. You could accomplish the same airflow or better using 1 120mm fan at 500rpm. The issue I have with 40mm fans is that when they need to turn up the speed, they quickly turn into what sounds like jet turbines, with the high pitched whine sound.

[citation][nom]TheRabidDeer[/nom]40mm fans at 4000rpm is basically no airflow. You could accomplish the same airflow or better using 1 120mm fan at 500rpm. The issue I have with 40mm fans is that when they need to turn up the speed, they quickly turn into what sounds like jet turbines, with the high pitched whine sound.[/citation]

The point of this cooler seems to be to have sufficient heat sink surface that weaker fans that don't get choked by having multiple cards without extra slots of space between the cards can be used. It shouldn't need much airflow, just enough for the huge surface area to not overheat. It probably wouldn't be the coldest cooler, but it should be able to handle very high amounts of wattage without getting very hot and would be ideal for SLI/CF situations.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I look forward to the day when they use solid state, non-mechanical, electro-aerodynamic fans.[/citation]
haha what?

ZakTheEvil

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I know there is not a loot room for this even on a double-height card, but I'm still wondering if it would be possible to design a card that draws cool air from the *outside of the case* and exhausts it to the outside as well and whether that would even make a difference. It seems all current cards intake the internal air which is already warmer than outside, ambient air.

[citation][nom]ZakTheEvil[/nom]I know there is not a loot room for this even on a double-height card, but I'm still wondering if it would be possible to design a card that draws cool air from the *outside of the case* and exhausts it to the outside as well and whether that would even make a difference. It seems all current cards intake the internal air which is already warmer than outside, ambient air.[/citation]

The problem with that is that unless you have a side intake fan on the chassis for the cards, they can't really do what you said because then you would need intake and exhaust both in the small external area from the PCIe slots of which the display connectors already take up a large portion. You would have one or two slots's worth of area at best to fit both intake and exhaust into. Maybe with a three slot card,the top slot could be exhaust, the middle slot could be display connectors, and the bottom could be intake, but otherwise, I just don't see it being done and even then, I'm not sure if it would be very practical.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Last month at CES, we caught first glimpse that the Gigabyte Super Overclock AMD Radeon HD 7970 with the Windforce 5X cooling system.

The link goes to a GTX 680 version, not an HD 7970. I've seen that article in the link as well before. So they have this kind of card design with both of the companies high-end cards I see...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I think that Dyson should get into the PC Cooling industry. Can you imagine how awesome the bladeless airfoil air multiplication system would be inside a computer, and using vortex funnel cooling like in their vacuums, and a ball design to help your case roll around the floor...

Dyson - Solving problems others seem to ignore... And ones people don't really even have... All while making your wallet just a little bit lighter...

Dyson. The Company. Not to be confused with the theoretical physicist who came up with the Dyson Sphere...

i guess so, but then their fans would be ridiculously expenisve (lets say 60 dollars) you do get a super straight airflow pattern as their is no blades but no blades means there is very little static pressure

g-unit1111

Titan
What kind of power is this thing going to require? I have to imagine it will be far more than a standard 7970 due to the 5-fan design. I see 2 x 8-pin PCI-E voltage connectors - does that mean it uses more than a dual 6-pin card?

[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]What kind of power is this thing going to require? I have to imagine it will be far more than a standard 7970 due to the 5-fan design. I see 2 x 8-pin PCI-E voltage connectors - does that mean it uses more than a dual 6-pin card?[/citation]

Why would it need to use more power strictly because of the fans? There might be five of them, but they are small fans that probably aren't intended to spin very fast. It will use more than a standard Radeon 7970 because of the factory overclock, but the fans shouldn't be much of an impact in power consumption. Heck, this cooler might use less power than most other coolers do with the same heat load due to the huge heat sink being able to dissipate heat much more effectively with even a smaller air flow than most other coolers would have.

The two eight pin connectors are probably there instead of an eight pin connector and a six pin connector for better overclocking headroom. Eight pin PCIe connectors are rated for supplying up to 150w and that is twice as high as the rated 75w of a six pin PCIe power connector. This 7970's total power can hit a rated maximum of 375w if you really overclock it. However, the usual eight and six pin connector combo of most 7970s means that they can use up to 300w (the PCIe connector can supply up to 75w). The two eight pin connectors denote this as an above-average 7970 that has the capability of using more power than a reference-powered 7970 can without breaking rated limits for it's power delivery connectors.

They don't mean that it must use more power than a dual six pin setup. They simply mean that it can use more power (almost twice as much) if you want it to.

shagittarius

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I remember buying a cooling system for my Voodoo2 after 2 boards died on me. It used small fans and blew across the board much like this does. I know it worked really well and I always wondered why this approach wasn't taken on modern boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.