First-Run Oculus Rift Developer Kit Coming to a Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
ABOUT DAMN TIME! Now get your heads out of butts and get Crystal Cove released NOW!! Oculus is quickly becoming a laughing stock. All talk and limited capability shown off, yet after over 3 years there is still no consumer product available. This is the perfect example of how a self start-up company should NOT operate. Oculus has had long enough. Time to get your act together and get a consumer level product out this year!

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
ABOUT DAMN TIME! Now get your heads out of butts and get Crystal Cove released NOW!! Oculus is quickly becoming a laughing stock. All talk and limited capability shown off, yet after over 3 years there is still no consumer product available. This is the perfect example of how a self start-up company should NOT operate. Oculus has had long enough. Time to get your act together and get a consumer level product out this year!
Why don't you go ahead and start one up yourself for us, then. We expect it to be out within the year, and working flawlessly. Yeah, that's what I though...

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Why would they release customer product if they can keep selling devkits making you accept limited use agreement before you buy it, giving them no responsibility for the product, and you no return if you are unhappy with it. That's like every manufacturer's dream. Be a smart customers, please.

Puiucs

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Why would they release customer product if they can keep selling devkits making you accept limited use agreement before you buy it, giving them no responsibility for the product, and you no return if you are unhappy with it. That's like every manufacturer's dream. Be a smart customers, please.
because the dev kit is not a consumer product. you can buy it if you want, but it's still just a product meant for development. QC, market research, software and hardware testing/development, PR, etc

Please go and play BF4. That was the result of a terribly rushed production, that resulted in a reputation-killing fail of a release, and the the game is still attempting to recover. I don't want that to happen to the Rift. I would much rather have a complete, bug-free product that took longer to produce than a buggy, glitchy, only-half-working product that was released earlier.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

Well I know that, what's your point? You should state clearly if you just want to add information.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
"If Oculus sold 60,000 Rift development kits at $300 apiece, then the company has thus far reeled in around $18 million USD."$300 a piece? I thought they were selling Dev kits for $1500 a piece. That would be 90 million.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

You're thinking of Google Glass.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
"If Oculus sold 60,000 Rift development kits at $300 apiece, then the company has thus far reeled in around $18 million USD."$300 a piece? I thought they were selling Dev kits for $1500 a piece. That would be 90 million.
https://www.oculusvr.com/order/

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

No excuses for Oculus. They made promises on deadlines for releasing a product to their investors and to the general consumer. Those promises have been broken - plain and simple. Your rhetoric is at best immature and misplaced. Think again.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

I do agree with you that the Oculus Rift should be a near perfect product when it is finally released (hopefully sometime within the next decade). However, my agrument is that the Oculus team has run into a great many issues throughout their progress, and have shown that the issues are more of a dev team problem and NOT limitations of technlology. Hence the reason why John Carmack was brought onboard to 'rescue' the Kickstart effort. The 2nd gen development kit is up for pre-order now, yet they have already stated that another version is in the works that uses a 4K type of resolution in order to get rid of the pixellation that is visible even with the new 1080P 2nd gen dev kit. My point is that 4K has been out since last year. Why has it taken so long for Oculus to integrate it then? Now we'll have to wait for a 3rd gen dev kit and testing and so on. Now, it will probably be at least holiday season 2015 before we see any final consumer level product from Oculus. I suppose late is better than never, but not by much!

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

I've seen no talk of them using 4k screens. Can you please show an example of ANY panel maker that has a 5" 4K screen? Who's got their head up their ass?

Status
Not open for further replies.