First Start Boot Issues

BigGrizz

Prominent
May 28, 2017
I've been having a problem with my computer for a short time now. When I first turn on my computer the bios will not detect my main hard drive, a corsair 120gb SSD. I have to power off my computer one or two times before the hard drive will appear.

Furthermore I've also been having problems when first booting the os after the drive is detected, sometimes it'll fail to boot Windows or freeze immediately after loading windows and I'll have to restart my computer, on occasion two or three times.

After successfully booting the computer it runs fine with no problems. The computer also restarts fine so long as I don't turn the power off for very long.

Solution
I took my computer apart today, had alot of dust on the inside and cleaned it out the best I could. I rearranged my cables on my drives, and redid the power supply cables so that my OS drive is on it's own cable. Everything seems to be working fine, on first boot it detected all my hard drives, my OS loaded without issue; shut it down for a few minutes then booted again without going into boot menu and it started up just fine without further input.

If it doesn't act up over the course of the next couple days, I'll consider this a victory! = D

shadow008

Prominent
May 28, 2017
Seems to me like a PSU problem, have you checked the SSD on another system?
Try changing the SATA Cable and and try using the other SATA port on the motherboard too. And make sure you check your SSD in another system by connecting it there and see if it works properly. I had a similar problem with my HDD, replacing the PSU solved it.

BigGrizz

Prominent
May 28, 2017
I haven't tried anything yet, other than checking my hard drives for errors. Other than HD Tune and Corsair's toolbox telling me I have 151 bad sectors (Should I be concerned?), the drive seems to be healthy.

And just this morning before posting this I noticed that my BIOS also failed to recognize one of my two secondary drives on initial startup as well.

When I get a chance I'll try my drive in another computer and see how that works out.

shadow008

Prominent
May 28, 2017

Bad sectors are usually common sometimes they can be harmful too, and i guess 151 is quite a large number, you should run "CHKDSK" and attempt recovery of bad sectors of each disk manually too if you are a windows user.
Coming toward the main issue, i am damn sure it must be the PSU that's not providing enough voltage to power up the drives. See if there is some kind of low voltage issue with your electricity connection or an easy solution is to power up your system using a stabilizer. Because as far as i know most probably the problem occurring is because of low power. So do step wise procedure.
1: Use a stabilizer to power up your system.
2: Connect your drives to another system and check if they are working fine there.
3: When the computer seems to run fine perform "CHKDSK" and try automatic recovery for bad sectors too.

Let me know if there's some progress.

BigGrizz

Prominent
May 28, 2017
I took my computer apart today, had alot of dust on the inside and cleaned it out the best I could. I rearranged my cables on my drives, and redid the power supply cables so that my OS drive is on it's own cable. Everything seems to be working fine, on first boot it detected all my hard drives, my OS loaded without issue; shut it down for a few minutes then booted again without going into boot menu and it started up just fine without further input.

If it doesn't act up over the course of the next couple days, I'll consider this a victory! = D

Solution

shadow008

Prominent
May 28, 2017

Haha glad to know that it worked.
Best of luck:wahoo: