First time build - i5 gaming. Would like opinions.

Litzkrieg

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Howdy everyone. I am a longtime reader of reviews and advice, and first time posting. There was no intro thread, so I figure this is my chance. I have been a PC gamer since I was 6, not counting high school and college when I had no money and resorted to console. Bought a CyberpowerPC build in 2012 with a i7 3770k and EVGA GTX 680 overclocked. It's starting to show some heat problems and is having trouble keeping up with the newest games; Doom is the first game I can't run on full High settings. So, I have been reading and shopping and came up with this build (in the forum's sticky format):

Approximate Purchase Date: 5-6 months (after my expensive wedding)

Budget Range: 1200-1400. PC Part Picker shows this build at $1386

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, multitasking, overclocking, office work, internet

Are you buying a monitor: Immediately, no. May grab a 1440 or 4k eventually.

Parts to Upgrade: Full system
CPU - i5 6600K
CPU Cooler - Corsair H110i GTX Liquid cooler
Mobo - MSI Gaming M5
Memory - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 (red)
Storage - PNY CS1311 240GB SSD, Western Digital BLACK 1TB HDD
GPU - ASUS GTX 980 4GB STRIX (or just wait for 1080s?)
PSU - Corsair CX600
Case - Corsair 450D
Extras - Wifi card, fan controller

Do you need to buy OS: Yes - Windows 7. Haven't seen a reason to do 10.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: PC Part Picker

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, nvidia GPUs

Overclocking: Yes. I have not overclocked myself before, but want to try it.

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not.

Monitor Resolution: Would like to get 1440p, but 1080p is fine.

Additional Comments: Quiet is nice, I think the Corsair's quiet case fans will help. Also want to make this one look nicer, preferably red/black theme. Might do an LED strip.

Why Are I am Upgrading: My GTX 680 is showing heat increases, even after replacing the paste and keeping it clean. The fan is also extremely loud on it under load. I could upgrade just the card, but I figure if I'm going to upgrade, just do it all, since DDR4 is a thing now. I also hate having this full tower.

Any advice would be great. This will be my first time building from scratch - I have replaced components before. Should I get a cheap 200-300 build to test? Maybe find an old one and take it apart to rebuild as practice? Thanks everyone.

Solution
That CX series power supply is not something to buy. Get a Seasonic or EVGA G2 or GS series.
I would just overclock what you have and get a new video card.
The GTX 1070 is suposed to give about 980ti performance.
That h110 will be the loudest part of your PC.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That CX series power supply is not something to buy. Get a Seasonic or EVGA G2 or GS series.
I would just overclock what you have and get a new video card.
The GTX 1070 is suposed to give about 980ti performance.
That h110 will be the loudest part of your PC.

Solution

PachiiAxe

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Its a nice build overall.. your money your choice.. Definitly change that PSU.. anything is better than the CX series.. Seasonic, EVGA B2 series or any Corsair high end psu.. Nice build bruh!